I've treated myself to a new camera

Bugsy

and am, so far, very pleased.

Sold one of my rifles and bought a Lumix DMC-FZ200.

It has the most amazing 24-600mm Leica Lens with f2.8 throughout the whole range.

A few pics

sorry still can't post pics from safari - I'll try firefox later

A few years ago, my camera was stolen. The insurers replaced it with a Lumix FZ50. I wondered at the time whether or not I should have asked for a Canon EOS (and paid the difference) but was attracted to the idea of owning something bearing the name Leica.

I'm glad I accepted the Panasonic camera. Its lens doesn't have the range of your camera's, but it consistently produces sharp, well-balanced photographs in almost any lighting conditions. I shall keep it until it falls apart (or I do).

Hi Bugsy

Interesting buy! After lugging a DLSR-type camera (Sony DSC-R1, great lens but heavy) for 6 years, plus an even older IXUS (one of the early ones from 2003!), I've decided to go for a "high-end" compact, a Nikon P7700, which is on its way even as I write (should be here tomorrow). I reckon (hope!) that this will do what my current cameras do, and more, with the added benefit of portability. We'll see.

Its a 'bridge' camera Sid, bigger than a compact but much less bulk and weight compared to a DSLR.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/Bridge+Cameras/DMC-FZ200/Overview/10148707/index.html

Yes, I know, I had Googled it before I posted my message. I've been researching all this for several weeks, [geek] - driving my wife mad!  

It's a matter of personal need and preference. I've found my large camera to be rather too bulky, not to mention heavy, at times, particularly when going by plane. The old IXUS just slips in a pocket, but only takes "snaps", there's little control over aperture etc etc. I did consider just updating that with a new model, but from reviews it appears that a lot of keen folk find that they take the Nikon and leave their big cameras at home. I had a shortlist of half a dozen in the end (not really that short!!), including Canon G1X and G15, Lumix LX7 and Olympus XZ-2 (these are compacts, but still quite heavy). I also want something that my wife can use; so the point-and-shoot option should work for her.

I've just checked online and mine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

You must let me know how you get on with yours; the lens sounds good, particularly the telephoto/aperture aspect. I'll keep you posted on mine!

I'll have a butchers at the Tourdregs pics.

Sundays are difficult for me; I'm involved with 3 bands and weekends are prime times. I'm retired, I don't have to do moto stuff on a Sunday when I've got all week! However, this Sunday is our local Fête de la Borne; ... we have a "fingerpost" just a kilometer from here marking the meeting point of 3 départements (79,16 and 17) and the local communes organise a "fete" every couple of years, and this year there's an offer of an initiation light on a ULM, so I'm already committed to going on this. I wonder if I can take my new camera? [I]

Sid,

I can't figure out why some of the major camera makers haven't come up with a way uf converting film SLR cameras into digital. There is plenty of room inside taken up by the film compartment. My old Olympus OM 1 is a nice, small camera which is now on a shelf not being used.

David

Hmm, I have an old Minolta X-700 SLR stashed away somewhere. I remember reading about a Minolta "digital back", this must have been around 1995 when digital was in its infancy; this replaced the original film cassette door and contained a CCD chip and associated circuitry, and was horrendously expensive AND produced a very low resolution image. I think the whole thing just got too expensive, being specific to one model, and linking in to the original camera circuits for exposure etc. I guess the old profit motive took over; it's easier to push new products; manufacturers can lure you away from your current brand. Never going to happen now surely. I've Googled and can only find vague references to this and a similar Leica device.

Sid,

I was thinking about the conversion thing because a lot of peope have invested in a lot of extra lenses. Can they be used on digi cameras made by the same company? I know there are companies now making cameras that didn't before digi.

David

I did some Googling after I posted that last message; a lot of people feel the same as you. The results are mixed. Some old lenses can be used on the newer digital bodies (by the same manufacturer naturally!), but I get the feeling that there has been too long a gap now and manufacturers are not really interested in what you had 20 years ago; they'd rather sell you a complete new outfit! The difficulties are to do marrying up manual lenses onto electronically controlled bodies, and also driving the auto-focus lenses with smaller power packs, and that's just 2 problems. I feel (not backed up by any evidence) that a lot of us have put our old gear away and have been seduced by the convenience and undoubted technical advances of the newer compact stuff. I definitely don't want to lug a camera bag full of heavy equipment any more. Flying is also an issue with weight and bulk.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any definitive answers for you.

There is certainly no problem with Canon lenses i.e. using the old SLR lenses (red dot) on the new EOS digital range. In fact many 'in the know' bought a shed load of different old lenses when these cameras came out because most people thought they didn't fit and sold them on EBay for whatever they could get for them. For example I bought an EF 500mm lens, hardly used, for just over a £150, the EOS version will set you back, new, around £7k. I know there is a difference in focal length but what you loose in picture size (which is not a lot, about 5mm off the sides on an A4 print) you make up by saving a shed load of money. I don't know about Nikon but I suspect their old lenses fit their digital cameras as well.

[quote user="sid"]

So you were hoping to use your old lenses... how?  [8-)]

[/quote]

He can't because it is an OM1. Those lenses are unique but do fit an OM2 after which they changed to the 'red spot' lenses. This is because the shutter is in the lens on the OM1 and 2.

Having a digital camera with an 8mp or bigger 'lens' is not much good if the size of the sensor is small like in a mobile phone for instance. You will notice the difference when you start printing photo's above A4 or zooming in and then 'blowing up'. Actually the OM1 was way ahead if it's time and you may find many professional photographers still have one or two around today that they use. Unless you go up to something like a Hasselblad 35mm film is often better than any digital camera although in comparison to digital photo's it's just complicated to use these days what with developing etc.

[quote user="Quillan"]There is certainly no problem with Canon lenses i.e. using the old SLR lenses (red dot) on the new EOS digital range. In fact many 'in the know' bought a shed load of different old lenses when these cameras came out because most people thought they didn't fit and sold them on EBay for whatever they could get for them. For example I bought an EF 500mm lens, hardly used, for just over a £150, the EOS version will set you back, new, around £7k. I know there is a difference in focal length but what you loose in picture size (which is not a lot, about 5mm off the sides on an A4 print) you make up by saving a shed load of money. I don't know about Nikon but I suspect their old lenses fit their digital cameras as well.[/quote] Just out of interest, given that you 'only' look through a. Lens , what are the disadvantages of buying a second hand lens

Condition and optical alignment. If a lens has been dropped, which is more common amongst SLR cameras as the lenses tend to be bigger and heavier, then the optics can move which can cause blurring, one side of a picture being in focus and the other not, hairline crack etc. Also there is a certain amount of electronics in the lens to help focus etc and some have motors as well. So buying from a shop is a better bet if you don't know what your looking at but there are still some good offers on EBay and if you pay via PayPal at least you have some protection if it turns out to be junk.

I haven't gone down this route because I was told the autofocus wouldn't work. I shall definitely be looking into this further. I have only been using a 50mm prime lens for some time, but it would be good to have some more in the bag. Current generation high-end lens are very expensive. If the old ones work, that could be very good news indeed.