Tripod recommendations?

sid

Not just in France, but a general query.

I've bought a new "high-end compact" camera and I'm looking for a tripod, not too expensive as I only use it (the tripod) occasionally. My current one has seen better days and the telescopic legs collapse on their own accord now. What has always annoyed me is the quick-release mount. I've had this one for over 20 years but find the quick release more trouble than it's worth, and now the little camera doesn't fit it particularly well. You can't access the battery/SD card and it's almost twice the depth of the camera. I can't find one with just the standard screw, apart from mini-tripods, and I've already got one of those.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Nick, I've seen those adaptors, but it's a totally unnecessary contraption at the top of the tripod for such a small camera (Canon G7X). I just need the "old-fashioned" ball/screw fastening. Really what I was hoping for was that someone had the same experience as me, but maybe I'm the odd-man-out, and everyone else likes the quick release ! In my experience they become loose and wobbly after a while and if you're doing anything requiring absolute rigidity, like photographing the moon or Milky Way it introduces more problems than it solves. Why would you want a plate fastened on the bottom of a pocketable camera, rendering it un-pocketable?

I accept that I may have to go down this route in the end.