Hello beautiful!

woolybanana

That's nice Bugsy. I was brought up in mamba country so tend not to give snakes a photo and I think the dogs keep them away too. The proximity of the foot is worrying.

The buddlea is full of those insects at the moment; their colours just amaze me. They look like some kind of flying kids toy.

Some lovely butterflies too, but getting a decent shot is a matter of luck as they dont keep still even for a second.

• 3 weeks later...
That is a hawk moth that you managed to get there Wooly. Not sure which one, a bit too bright for the humming bird hawk moth. Cracking shot. I have tried any number of times to get one like that, no chance with the humming bird jobby, but I did get some smashing video.

I for one believe you Wooly![Www]

Nowt to do with nature, but I had some fantastic luck with my Nikon 35mm film camera at Kemble Air Show one year. The photo is just scanned from the print, nothing has been changed or modified. I just happened to be in the right place and pressed the shutter at the right time!

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Johns/Kissingcousins-1.jpg[/IMG]

Yours is still a cracking photo mate! It is so very clear..

• 3 months later...
Interesting thread for me as I'm currently a new camera. The choice is overwhelming for someone with little knowledge. I've tried going into a couple of independent retailers for advice, but then when I look up their recommendations I see unfavourable comments.

Light is very important to me, dusk, dawn and skies and landscapes too. Wooly, I'd like to be able to get a shot like yours too. But, I don't want to be changing lenses for every shot and my last Sony cybershot with a zeiss lens was the most complicated thing I've ever come across.

A friend is recommending a canon eos 500. The price is pretty attractive as it's currently under £500.

Ideas/suggestions/recommendations please!

[quote user="virginia.c"]Interesting thread for me as I'm currently a new camera. [/quote]

Oh lavinia.c, I swear you told me you were a little teapot, short and stout!

My camera is an old Minolta something or other which is no longer made, so I cant help you there, but if you want to become, say, a U bend or a Kenwood chef, then we bananas have ways of transforming people![6]

[quote user="virginia.c"]

A friend is recommending a canon eos 500. The price is pretty attractive as it's currently under £500.

Ideas/suggestions/recommendations please![/quote]

I have the D500 with the Canon 18/200 mm lens and it is a cracking bit of kit! The immage stabilisation has to be seen to be believed especially at slow shutter speeds in poor light. I don't like using flash and more often than not I don't have to. Great for candid shots!

If you can go to the Canon 18/200 it is well worth the extra and I have found that I can get better 'macro' type shots at 200 than at 18 and get closer to the subject physically too.

Edit : - I forgot to say that I bought mine from a shop in Gloucester for 2 reasons. One, it is a shop that I have used nmerous times when I lived in Stroud and two, they were cheaper than any other place I checked... If you are interested then please PM me. I am nothing more than a satisfied customer.

You can choose just how easy you want it too be. On auto it becomes a point and shoot. On full manual you chosse everything, speed, aperture, ISO etc. It also has a very handy setting on the ISO, the equivalent of film speed, because it goes up to an ISO of 12,800 and that is not a miss tryped number...  You have a lot of other options too, like aperture priority or speed priority. You can choose the file size too so that if you want to print a photo out on A1 or 2 paper then no problems. It also has a setting that saves the file in both JPEG and Raw. A raw file works out at about 20 megs and the highest JEPG about 6 megs and that is a lot of detail!

Here is a site with more detail than I can possibly remember  http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_slr/EOS_500D/

I have been over the moon with mine and before some split banananana (sorrry, got caried away there Woooollie) not literally, just really pleased with it. Just as a matter of interest, I always fit a UV filter over the lens. Apart from making snow look like snow, i.e. not blue, it protects the lens. If you bash the front and break the filter you replace the filter. If you do that without one fitted you damage the lens. Much more expensive!!

The lens is THE most important part of the camera and they can indeed cost several times more than the body!

This is a review of that lens http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_18-200_3p5-5p6_is_c16/ . I'm not sure how old it is, but not much more than a year? I've had my camera for a year now and the camera, lans, 16 gig card, delivered to the door was about £1000. Santa was VERY kind to me last year!!! It replaced my old Sony DSC F717 which is a cracking camera, especially for macro and it even has the fascility to take infra red photos at the flick of a switch!