Registering as a joiner without C&G or equivilent

Postie

I am a qualified steel fabricator with C&G papers  (5 yr apprenticeship & 25 yrs experience). When we move to France I would like to work as a self employed joiner/cabinet maker, I have been making a living doing this for the last 10 years. Is it possible to register with the "chambre de metier" with a different skill?

Thanx

Postie

Good question postie.

Don't be intimidated by the beaurocrats, they aren't able to think outside of their own little boxes and tend to get a little confused when presented with someone who doesn't fit snugly into the system here.

My advice is to tell them what you do and what you're going to do and don't be bullied by the rhetoric you'll get. Take along pictures of your work and perhaps tax returns from UK.

When I registered they gave me so many problems that I was less than polite to them in the end, I told them I'll make/carve whatever I wanted to and if they didn't like it they could send me to the Bastille! I also refused to go on the course...we negotiated that my wife could go on it instead (I'm sure it's not a legal requirement).The 'photos and tax returns were important though.

Just don't be bullied postie, don't forget that it's us who pay for the hoards of beaurocrats out there!

Good luck!

Thanx for the feedback both of you, the photos & tax return are a great idea. We have been in business for 8 years in UK & 10 in Africa - we are quite used to beaurocrats - they are same the world over. It's just easier to pull the wool over the eyes of some!!! I suppose I could always offer to make chief a table or something to prove my ability to work in wood.

Cheers

Postie