Filling wood

Geranium

I know all you guys like working with the big stuff but I've just been cleaning and treating an old wooden bed-canopy frame.  As it was full of woodworm it now needs filling, can anyone suggest a good wood filler out here? What do I look for on the tin?

Also when painting furniture or door frames in UK I always used a commonly found (maybe Dulux) Water-based Acrylic Primer to give a good first coat.  What is the equivalent in France?  Does it even exist?

Thanks guys!

Have you thought of cutting out ALL of the damaged wood and filling the holes with wood??? If you cut the old wood out to a definate shape you can cut the same type of wood ot fit and carve/scrape/sand/cut it down to the same profile. I have a similar project soon where I have to cut sections out of a pair of very old and lovely cupboard doors that came with the house. I will have to make up at least a couple of scrapers to do the moulding as original. I will use stanley knife blades to make the scrapers and shape them with my trusty Dremel!!

First though you need to make sure that the 'sitting' tenants are not living any more. Zap them with woodwarm killer. There is enough to sink a large boat at any of the bricko's. Second, loads of patience if you want a good finish.

Third, good luck........