MDF

billyo

I realise it might be a bit sacreligeus to mention MDF in a wood working section, so please be gentle!

Im finally going to build some wadrobes for my longsuffering girlfriend out of MDF, Im thinking 15mm for the carcasses, but I would like to put 3 sliding doors on the front at 75 by 250, would 15mm be thick enough to give rigidity or should I use either 18 or 20mm?

Billyo

[quote user="billyo"]

I realise it might be a bit sacreligeus to mention MDF in a wood working section, so please be gentle!

Im finally going to build some wadrobes for my longsuffering girlfriend out of MDF, Im thinking 15mm for the carcasses, but I would like to put 3 sliding doors on the front at 75 by 250, would 15mm be thick enough to give rigidity or should I use either 18 or 20mm?

Billyo

[/quote]

Hi billyo,

go to screwfix.com and then go to TALK FORUM , you will get answers within a few hours

hi

ok are we talking MDF or chip board/conti-board here ? The reason  I ask is MDF is not cheap here in France it`s more expensive than "wood" ??? Also your door sizes are they correct i.e. 75x250 ... what ?? if it`s 2.5 mtrs x 0.75 mtrs  you are going to need some heavy duty hangers ,even 20mm mdf will flex at this size.

ok my view is the cost  in mdf will be more than you could buy them for

Dave..... sorry

For value, make a frame out of MDF and back it with 15mm sheet. You will get increased rigidity, reduced weight and cost. Or, as Dave says, use wood. There have been concerns raised in the USA about using MDF in bedrooms - though it seems not much worse than any other material, and is sealed when painted or finished. Using MDF is another matter, and you need to take breathing precautions if routing or sawing it, not just a nuisance dust mask.

One further than that Dick... Why not make the frames in 2 X 1 (50 X 25mm) and then cover them with 15mil board? Better still have a look at the sliding doors in the sheds. They don't have to be expensive. If you use the wood then all you have to do is cut it to length. I bought some 1 1/4 X 3/4" ramin today from our local briko shed. I found that most of it was straight and good quality, Bricomarché. When I fitted cupboards in our laundry room I used 2 X 1 for the carcasses and faced it with 6mm ply. Worked a treat!

As Dave said, MDF is definately not cheap here and as Dick said you will need some serious face mask to avoid the dust it gives off. It will also take the edge off of your tools because it is very abrasive. Hope you have a DMT diamond whet stone for your router bits. Keeps them smashing.

You can tell the importance of a man by the impression his hand leaves in a bowl of water when he removes it.
Chinese proverb...
Now who is importaint that you know???
  Must be me just tried it and I leave great big Tide marks on the side of the bowl

Dave[Www]

Dave, let me correct you if I may???

That ain't an impression that's just a mucky mark on the edge of this rich thing we call life.

The real impression has GOT to be in the middle wher yer 'and was!!![:P] (Fick or wot? Must be 'im worring about the rugby???)

Easy for me Coops. Every keyboard turns into a trype wrighter when I go near it??

Getting back on subject....

Have a look at these http://www.lapeyre.fr/Lapeyre/pub.accueil.PreHomeController.do?event=show . By the time you have payed for the materials and your time they probably work out quite good. AND you finish up with a professional job, not that I am knocking your ability of course [Www]. If you go back through the pages there are lots more too.