neibour problem

king karl

Please help...

I own a holiday rental, and i have had a letter from my neighbor saying hes been on my land to inspect his house wall as the render is bad.

I asked him to give me notice next time he wants to come on my land as there are holiday rentals visiting and this isnt on....

Ive asked him to give me 14 days written notice as im in the UK and need to let holiday letters know someone may need access.

He flatly refused this and again came on my land taking photos of his wall, now saying i have damaged his property with my wood stack (which is completely untrue , im a builder of 25yrs so would know)

Now hes saying that his insurance company, need to visit and he has arranged for a huissier to vist next tuesday to look at this wall

Again the will need to access my property while its let out and have not even asked if its ok to do so

I have no issue with him repairing his wall, but have an issue with him just entering my land and arranging for people to vist without my permission first,

I just want him to do so at a time when the house is not let out, but as im not there hes doing what he wants and ignoring my requests to keep off my land

any suggestions would be appreciated

I know nothing of the legalities of your or his situation, but would think that asking for 14 days notice in writing is a bit harsh. The man has to look after his wall, and walking on your land to do that is not such a big thing in my view.

In normall circumstances i agree, but when people are paying good money to rent they dont expect people they dont know wandering around with a camera

I need  notice so i can let them know before they set off that there maybe someone doing the above

As i say, the problem is he refuses to listen to me and just goes ahead anyway.... its a matter of respect for other people

PS when i say in writing i mean as in email / text etc

Would your Mairie be able to help you? from experience I have found that if you go there and lodge a complaint then the Maire will intervene and try and help. Your neighbour sounds like he doesn't quite know the protocol of dealing with English owners, mine certainly don't, but on the occasions when my neighbour has wanted to have a "show down " as it were, with me he has rushed headlong to the Mairie and the Maire duly trots down and we have it out, either there and then or by a meeting at the Mairie or by e-mail.  there is a "droit d'echelle" meaning I think that neighbours can access neighbouring land for maintenance purposes but I am beginning to think this is not exactly a right as such, but a foundation for a jolly good fight - good luck with your neighbour, but be warned - things are against you. Charnizay

I may be reading this wrong but you say that your neighbour extended the courtesy, in your physical absence, of writing to you to explain that he had been on your property to inspect his wall.

You then responded by telling him to give you 14 days notice before doing so again.

That, in my view,  is hardly the way to maintain a good relationship with a neighbour.

It seems as if your neighbour has decided that you will be paying for his wall repairs and is going to go ahead regardless. That he is already at the stage of a huissier suggests how serious and unwilling to dialogue he might be. IMHO you need to be able to prove, via your insurer that your efforts did not damage his wall, so get in contact with them first and check out your cover for protection juridique. If your neighbour is there with the huissier he will be able perhaps to influence him as to what he is seeing, which is not to your advantage.

As to his access, it is his right in most cases to do so to attend to his property from the inaccessible side, but it is usual and correct to choose times agreeable to both parties. He is just being a pig and perhaps trying to take advantage of you.

By the way, how do you know that the wall was not damaged by the log pile?

You will clearly have to warn your guests that there is likely to be someone coming into the garden at odd moments.

[quote user="woolybanana"].

By the way, how do you know that the wall was not damaged by the log pile?

[/quote]

because the log stack is not against his wall but stacked approx 6" away... I have moved the stack about 3 foot away from his wall so he can get access to his wall and you can clearly see there is no damage

( i am a builder so know what im looking for)

He and the Hussier are not going to set up camp at most they'll be a few minutes and the Hussier will take photos. No big deal - do you by any chance ask your neighbour to address you as 'King Karl'? Apologies just had to ask...

Even if your neighbour brings on a dispute it is best to keep things on a friendly basis - he is after all, on site more than you.

Hi,

Yeah, even the maire calls me king karl (king of bling) long story lol

Im easy going, honest... but this bloke has fallen out with half the village

I quite like the guy, but he seems to love winding folk up... he keeps threatening me with the best advocates in Paris

Ive been advised to put a locked gate on, i didnt really want to and it means he cant get to shut off his water , which he does often as his house is a holiday home

This is another story, he says he has a written agreement with the previous owners allowing him access to his tap

Theres nothing in my deeds... so does this mean if he does have anything it went out of the window when i bought the house, as the agreement was with them?

I agree with Mr Dog - you are being rather English. Can't you just buy the neighbour a beer and talk about it?

Believe me, lawyers won't help either of you.

If you're rarely on site, the neighbour could really make life a misery for you and your visitors.

I think the neighbour has reasonable right to access to repair the wall... if it is a shared boundary. If it's not shared then he surely needs permission? BUT if you don't keep this on a friendly level then you may find he's got a cement mixer running and he's in and out just when you have guests, so it's far better to come to an amicable arrangement.

[quote user="Mikep"]I agree with Mr Dog - you are being rather English. Can't you just buy the neighbour a beer and talk about it?

Believe me, lawyers won't help either of you.

If you're rarely on site, the neighbour could really make life a misery for you and your visitors.

[/quote]

I tried this route yesterday, but he said to get some good legal advice

He said hes getting the huissier round then reporting to his insurance company, i tried the freindly route but he aint interested.

As i said, i could put a locked gate up, but this would mean he cant turn his water off... if his house floods when im not there id be even worse off

ps its not a shared boundry , his house backs onto my yard

Being english????? Have you any idea how awful french people can be to one another. Just do a search for this sort of thing and many french message boards will come up with tales of woe.

A myth all the happy smiling people and putting things right en buvant un coup etc etc etc .OK it might work on the odd occassion, but there are people out there who like to emmerder les autres and take delight in it.

Your guests would love my neighbour . You are relaxing on a lounger when you hear a loud " Bonjour " Look round nobody there . Another " Bonjour " you look up and discover that he has walked up and over the roof of his outbuilding which back onto me to save walking round . I have to put a ladder up so he can come down to talk !

Don't need any stereotypying here at all. There is a google search with endless voisinage problems. I could find lots. As I could on any british google search and probably in any swiss one or german one etc etc. Some people are just plain difficult and relish such situations for their own twisted delight.

http://goo.gl/oXYwj

KingCarl, you wrote this on another forum:

I had no problem with this until recently he wrote saying he needs to render his house wall, and had been round taking photos without my permission and said his insurance company and builders will need to work off my land

Given that your woodpile was only 6" away from I assume an unrendered wall, if there is living accomadation on the other side of it then your woodpile will almost certainly have caused him damp problems with rainwater splashing on the unprotected wall which being shaded by the pile would dry very slowly if at all.

Whilst I doubt that you can be forced to pay for the rendering I think if I am correct in the above that you should co-operate with him for these necesary repairs, the gap that you have now left may not be sufficient for applying the render with a compressor.