Which router?????????

Fridgeman

Hi Guys,

Looking to buy a new router, I have an old Hitachi TR 8 which has and still is serving me well, I also bought a while back a Kinzo for silly money but I can't see it lasting too long if I use it to carry out lots of work, so the router I fancy is a choice of the "Bosch 1617evspk" or the "Hitachi KM12VC" now the first problem is both these routers are ONLY available in the US, they are both 120v 60Hz being in the states is no problem, my Brother in law lives there, my problem is would a 110v TX be OK? it will only be 50Hz, I believe I would be right in sayng that the routers speed would be slightly slower, would there be any other problems?

Your thoughts would be Greatfully received.

Well Fridgeman! We are all waiting with baited breath! Have you come to any decision yet?

Just looking back at your post. you ask about the frequency difference between here and out trans Atlantic cousins, the frequency difference 60 to 50 Hz is not going to make a lot of difference. So if the router was doing a max of 18.000 rpm on 60 Hz it would be doing 15.000 rpm on 50 Hz and unless you are a musician you won't notice the difference me-thinks... It will still give you a bloody good manicure if you get your fingers in the way!![:-))]

• 2 weeks later...

John and All

I'm afraid still not made up my mind, the reason I like the Bosch is it can be used as a plunge router (which I'm not too worried about) or a fixed router, which is ideal when fitted into a table, problem is it is only available in USA, why I don't know, seems strange to me anyone have any ideal why it is?

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="AnOther"]Funny thing, if you happened to confuse router with the other electronic device with an identical name the thread still reads [:)]

[/quote]Untill poor Fridgeman goes out and buys the Belkin somebody recommends and finds it's worse than useless....[/quote]

Mr Clair says:

It's the GMF 1400 CE available in the UK or France.

[quote user="Fridgeman"]

John and All

I'm afraid still not made up my mind, the reason I like the Bosch is it can be used as a plunge router (which I'm not too worried about) or a fixed router, which is ideal when fitted into a table, problem is it is only available in USA, why I don't know, seems strange to me anyone have any ideal why it is?

[/quote]

Take another look at the Triton it too can be used as a plunge router and with it's rack and pinion movement it's a lot easier than most routers to use accurately. The cutter collet comes clear of the base making bit changing the easiest I have ever used without cutting fingers through the guard as usual. That feature in table mount is simply superb as it is very difficult with normal routers and often means removing the router from the table to change cutter. The whole market just copy one another, Triton re designed their router from a clean sheet of paper. With 68mm of plunging depth it also goes further than most.

Another review Here  I have owned several routers over the years and this is by far the best, there are two models available now 2000 watts and 1400 watts.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-bosch-gmf1400ce-1-2-router-prod480380/

These must be one of the best companies to deal with as well. They post to France, no problems. I recommend them to everyone!!!

[/quote]

Isn't that what Mr Clair recommended in my earlier post?[blink]

Certainly is Clair!! that's where I got the model number from.

Axminsters price is £340. One of the best I finally managed to find this side of the channel is 480€. I have found the same thing time after time and what with the level of service Axy give I have saved literally hundreds of £££

They ae out of stock at the mo, but a quick call to their tech guys would find out when the new stock is in. The tech guys are really good and they do know about the kit they sell because they use it...

I would endorse the recommendation of the Triton 1/2" router.

Superb piece of kit - way ahead of DeWalt, Bosch, Makita, etc.

Used in conjuction with the Triton Router Table - unbeatable!

Available from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Triton-1-2-inch-Precision-Router/dp/B002QRUG04

Regards,

Marcardis

I have a large staircase to make and woud also like to upgrade the existing itchifanni 1/4" router in my home made router table to somehing more serious. I think you guys have convinced me to bite the bullet and spend some hard-earned.

I have been using a 1/2" Axminster white router for a good few years, its quite good but the pillar bushings are not concentric with the guide bush location, despite the best of my fitting skills it is nearly one mm out which makes template work quite challenging, apart from that the on off button was just not ergonomic and would make your thumb ache through trying to keep it held in while guiding the router, I minimised this by fixing a cap to it to extend it but its still not good.

I have decided to buy a new one now as if the old one gives out whilst making the staircase I will be in the doo-doo, its good to hear of othes experiences and to read the reviews.