Woodturning

Jay

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Still looking for woodturners? Haven't got space at the moment to put the Jet out but hopefully it won't be long 'cause I have to start on the staircase & mezzanine balustrade soon. Will have to make space in the diddy workshop I've got at the moment. When the times comes, I would like to pick a few brains about sourcing good timber for furniture.

Postie

I have not seen or heard of ay clubs or the like since we have been here, but I haven't really looked. I had an experience of a large club in Gloucester, but after seeing the quality of a couple of their experts I decided that I was better of on my own? Were you looking for anything in particular Jay? By the way, I have only just found this thread so sorry for the late entry!

Thank you for the compliment Sreve, but I am just an enthuastic hobbiest. Dangerous too on the odd occasion!!

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/DSC07506.jpg[/IMG]

This 10" elm bowl was 'intended' as a gift for some friends, but I will have to do another as 'she who must be obeyed cause she's bigger than me' said it was too nice to give away. I must admit it looks good, but to turn things that size I really need a heavier lathe. I sometimes have to chase my Record CL1 across the workshop, but not very far! If I didn't need to move it sometimes I think it would be a good idea to bolt it down??

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/DSC07507.jpg[/IMG]

These were a calmer job in French box and walnut. A commision for a friend. They will be going!

Edit. Jay you haven't said where you are in France???

Well, Jonzjob, your bowl is great - she indoors is quite right. Too good to give away. And yes, bolting the Record down is a good idea. I once had a large piece of African Leadwood  fly out the lathe, luckily my Record was firmly attached to mother earth & only I had a bruised chest to show for it. After that incident I decided to invest in a Jet 1442. I can now do bowls up to 255 over the bed, which is great. The Jet's a beauty, quiet as a mouse & not a hint of vibration.

Keep up the good work

Postie

One of my favorites is the captive ring.

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/DSC07379.jpg[/IMG]

And this is one of my favorite reasons. This was a wedding present for my son last month. An elm bowl and ash goblets with a little bit of pyrography, by me, of a pansy called 'Hearts ease'. I've made several sets like this for weddings. Some presents and some comissions. I love doing them. I just wish that the second goblet was as easy to do as the first! It's a bugger trying to get them similar. I never try to get them the same. After all you can get plastic ones like that peut etra? I just love the challenge[:-))]!

The CL1 will turn upto 10" over the bed, but if it's not well ballanced, like me ([8-)]?), has to be turned at the mid speed of 1000 rpm. Not too easy to get a good finish... I will look at the problem of the bolt down?

The main it of Jet kit I have is their fine air filter wot hangs in the roof with it's own remote control, but it is easier to work than our DVD on the 'haunted fish tank' (TV)!

The only time that I have got really dangerous was when I tried to make a fairly large bowl just that little bit too thin and found that the blank  had a small fault in it!! Part of it went through the open window in front of the lathe and the rest just missed me. That happened because I don't like thick walled heavy weight turned peices, nor the goblets with the incredibily thin stems that you dare not touch come to think of it. They are quite something, but not for me...

[IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn69/honeypotpuss/turning52.jpg[/IMG]

Well I've attempted to put in a photograph as per instructions so I hope this works!!

It is a walnut natural edged bowl I'll try and put the finished article on next.

Its a bit fubar (upside down!) sorry will do better next time.[blink]

Lilly I take it that this is not an egg cup? [:-))]

WOW that is some piece of walnut and I for one look forward to seeing the finished article!!!!! I would love a lathe that would take smething like that.

Don't forget to post photos of the bowl. What speed were you turning at, about 500 rpm?

Edit:-  Also Lilly what angle is the gouge ground to? It looks very steep, much more than I use!

Hi folks,

not having much luck with finding a finished photo of the bowl, we have still got it so I will take a new photo and post it. It was a big walnut tree that had to come down as it was in the way of the new fosse ad as we don't like to do tha sort of thing to trees it seemed rather nice to make something to keep out of it, I'm looking forward to the 10 seater dining table at about 30-4-cm thickness but its not stable yet.

Its the other half who's the real turner me as I said previously I'm just Dangerous I would'nt like to try anything on this scale.I usually like to hack at stuff with an arbortech and burn it with a blow torch and other lethal efforts!

However trying to answer your queries and OH is shy, Its Wadkin RS80 looong bed with a varialble speed added , it is actually glued to the floor cos of underfloor heating! The piece of wood was actually bigger than that at on set as the band saw was'nt big enough,chainsawd to start with and took my son and OH and me to get it on the lathe and several attempts later after messing about with gravity started Waddy up with me and offspring other side of work shop. All was tranquille!

The piece was semi green cut down 2 years previously to being roughed out then left under shavings and then paper sack for a year.This photo was the roughing out stage.

We have a VB36 ( didn.t have it then!) also a small axminster and later this summer hopefully a Wivamac, why so many?

The Wadkin with its long bed is good for newel posts an columns and roughing out largish bits, VB for the bigger stuff  and for general more accurate turning and wivamac for expos as its the smaller one and therefore more portable and the axminster was too small for the job really.

I will get the technical stuff about the grind etc from OH later when he comes in, promise.

bye for now

• 3 months later...

Hello People

Just come across this thread, I am attempting to turn wood, I am using a very old (1990) cheapo Multico lathe at the moment and would like to upgrade to either the Fox F46-719 or a variable speed lathe, have looked on the French sites and they all seem expensive compared to the UK, the problem with buying from the UK the additional shipping costs or getting someone to bring it over, if any of you has any personal info (used one of the lathes) on the lathes I am looking at I would be most grateful.

All the best

• 4 weeks later...
[quote user="Lilly"]

Hi folks,

not having much luck with finding a finished photo of the bowl, we have still got it so I will take a new photo and post it. It was a big walnut tree that had to come down as it was in the way of the new fosse ad as we don't like to do tha sort of thing to trees it seemed rather nice to make something to keep out of it, I'm looking forward to the 10 seater dining table at about 30-4-cm thickness but its not stable yet.

Its the other half who's the real turner me as I said previously I'm just Dangerous I would'nt like to try anything on this scale.I usually like to hack at stuff with an arbortech and burn it with a blow torch and other lethal efforts!

However trying to answer your queries and OH is shy, Its Wadkin RS80 looong bed with a varialble speed added , it is actually glued to the floor cos of underfloor heating! The piece of wood was actually bigger than that at on set as the band saw was'nt big enough,chainsawd to start with and took my son and OH and me to get it on the lathe and several attempts later after messing about with gravity started Waddy up with me and offspring other side of work shop. All was tranquille!

The piece was semi green cut down 2 years previously to being roughed out then left under shavings and then paper sack for a year.This photo was the roughing out stage.

We have a VB36 ( didn.t have it then!) also a small axminster and later this summer hopefully a Wivamac, why so many?

The Wadkin with its long bed is good for newel posts an columns and roughing out largish bits, VB for the bigger stuff  and for general more accurate turning and wivamac for expos as its the smaller one and therefore more portable and the axminster was too small for the job really.

I will get the technical stuff about the grind etc from OH later when he comes in, promise.

bye for now

[/quote]

Hi Lilly I have just been looking back through a couple of posts and came across this.

Have you managed to get any photos of that finished bowl yet?? I know that there are several people here that would LOVE to see it [kiss][kiss][kiss][;-)][:D]

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you John,

It was made about two years ago and OH was not too happy with the form ( a bit dumpy, I however love it dumpy or not!) the lathe was actually playing up due to not being fixed to the floor and a shudder which can only be the bearings, still it has worked hard and is now in semi retirement no more big stuff thats now for the VB. The bowl is full of now crushed pine cones as the cat has claimed it as hers and I daren't re arrange the cones as she always seems so cumfy in it.

Lilly