Source of tools

Mr Tig

Whilst the brico sheds are a useful source of commonplace tools, I'd like to find a chain of shops in which one can buy the more esoteric items: lathe chucks, forstner bits, carving chisels, for example. Googling returns several online suppliers here in France.what I would like is a physical store in 86/87 (as I'm based about halfway between Poitiers and Limoges); basically a French version of Axminster Tools or Turners Retreat.

Does anyone have any suggestions or am I searching for rocking horse manure?

I still get a lot of the bits I want from Axminster and the last time I did was last week. I haven't really found anything in the 11 years we have been here. On the odd occasion I have been looking and found what I want/need I have checked it out either on Axy or Amazon and most of the time it's much more expensive here!

What is it that you are looking for at the moment??

Hi John,

At the moment I'm after some forstner bits (Fisch for the sizes I want) and a better tool rest for my lathe but as much as anything it's the joy of wandering around a well-stocked shop that I miss.

When I visit Axminster etc in the UK I aways seem to find something I didn't previously know existed which suddenly seems essential.

I have just bought several Forstner bits from Axy. I got them to make the cryptex box I posted on here last month on 'Bin busy' Then I got another, so now me bits go from about 1/4" up to 2". The latest few are Axminster's own and they are good, not for 8 hours/dat 7 daze/week, but very good for the likes of me.

I also found that the 2" is great for drilling a recess in small-ish bowl blanks. I can then mount them on my Axy K10 (I think??) scroll chuck in the middle size Jacobs jaws and turn the base. Normally I have been starting off mounting the blank on a wooden face block with hot glue, but this is muck easier, more sure and quicker..

I can't get on to the Axy web site at the moment or I would post the page link for the bits?? If you search for them they are very obvious..

What lathe do you have?? Mine is a blue (20 year old) Record CL1 with a 1 hp 3 ø 235v variable speed motor. The motor change transformed it from a good basic lathe to a really good one.

Hi John,

Thanks, I have the bits on the Axminster website so can always buy online. I'd just like to be able to support a French retail outlet.

I've got a Myford ML8 that's at least 40 years old. It was heavily modified by its previous owner. Its tubular bed has been replaced by 2 machined rectangular rails and it's on a custom frame. The whole thing is very solid - about 700kg. It has a Compton 1.5hp 3 phase motor with inverter and I've yet to find anything it won't handle. I get scared long before it gives up!

Brian

About the only 'French retail outlets' I've found around the Carcassonne area are the sheds. OK for not really very much I'm afraid.

I may well be wrong, but the French don't seem to go in for wood turning in the same way as the U.K.? I have not heard of any clubs anywhere around us here?

but as much as anything it's the joy of wandering around a well-stocked shop that I miss.

I was just Googling l’affûtage as I have Makita and a Milwaukee TCT blades I require sharpening professionally.

This  was one of the results. Looks to be right up your street.

It appears to be near the Dordogne/Lot border which might be doable for Mr Tig - Poitiers/Limoges but a bit of a punch for JonzJob - Carcassonne.

Checkout this guy.  What he lacks on his head he appears to more than make up for on his top lip which also doubles as his aspirator.

They are having a portes ouverts in October

Hope it helps

regards

cajal

I keep my router TCT tools sharp with a DMT diamond pocket whet stone. It doesn't take but a few minutes and as opposed to a pro sharpening there's only a few thou removed by the stone. I use the stone to sharpen my scalpel blades and utility knives too.

A great little tool.

J-J those diamond sharpeners look great, I've looked at them before with envy.

Since they are a bit pricey.  If I was only going to buy one, what grade would you recommend for general sharpening (eg knives, chisels - not machine tools) please?

I have 2 red and a blue in these .

One of the reds I have had for almost 20 years. It's in a leather case and it goes everywhere with me. The other and the blue live in my workshop along with a red bench whetstone. As you say, they are a bit pricey, but for me they are worth it. My original small red stone feels completely smooth, but after using it it needs a quick soap down to get the black metal dust off it. It brings my scalpel blades back to pretty well original.

Once I got my bench stone I had flat plane blades for the 1st time of my life [:-))]

I also got a set of the Axy diamond stones, but although they are good they aren't as good as the DMT.

The small jobbies are ideal for sharpening router bits! Mine are always ovely and sharp. I was told a good while back that you can gain the price of the DMTs very quickly because it saves the cost of pro sharpening and with the pro method they remove quite a lot of metal so the bits last a lot longer..

You won't regret it, but unless they have changed back your jobbie will come in a plastique case..

Good 'ere init!! [8-|]

• 3 weeks later...
So, my new sharpener turned up yesterday.  What I want to know is

WHY DIDN'T I GET ONE OF THESE BEFORE !!!

I've been going round sharpening everything I can get my hands on - kitchen knives, penknife, even the old knife I use for digging arrows out of trees (don't ask)

When I find my honing guide I'll do some chisels but Oh boy, am I a happy bunny

I looked it up Ian and here's one pro woodworker who isn't that impressed??

I'll stick with the DMT diamond whet stone I've had for about 20 years and I'll bet that if I had used the SSM way it would have been more expensive even if you take my bench DMT into account. That's about 18 years old and still going strong.

We have just got back from a Malta holiday and my small DMT went with me and was used. Fit's in my pocket or bum bag no trouble. Where I go it goes [B][8-|]

Each to his own, John.

The reason I like it is the range of grits available. I use from 150 up to 1200 in five or six steps, and I can easily go up to 2400 (though that would be wasted on me).

Compared to only two that you get with an oilstone (traditional or diamond)..

I still have the double sided Norton stone I started with 40 years ago, but it's at the back of the drawer.

Cheers.

(BTW, I use a set of three small diamond hones on my kitchen knives - magic!)