Workshop soon!!!

Jonzjob

At long last, at the end of this month the concrete slab, 3 X 4.8m goes down in our garden at our new, to us, home here in NW Wiltshire. Then mid December the shed goes up on it! Fully insulated and double glazed. What more could I wish for?

Still not mine yet though as the garage will be emptied into it so that it can be flattened (the garage [:-))] ) and turned, as if by magique into a bedroom. Then I can have my own playground at last. It will have been well over a year and I am itching to get back on my lathe [B]

I was very sorry to leave France after 13 years, but for us it was time to return. It was an adventure that we both loved and would have been a lot poorer if we had missed it. I would encourage anyone wanting to do the same to jump at the chance.

[quote user="Théière"]Fantastic! I was only thinking we haven't heard from you and also if you could turn me some formers?[/quote]

With pleasure TP, but it won't be for a couple of months mate? Sooner if possible if I can get back to my former situation and reach my lathe [;-)]

What form of formers had you in mind?

In that case grumpy then why did you post an answer?

I think that you may well find that there are some who are interested in what happens to long time members even after they have left France and I think that you will find that the forum is not just for people who live there.

But then again, you are grumpy aren't you.

Just as a matter of interest, I was a forum member long before I was a French resident.

• 3 months later...
[quote user="grumpyaudeman"]Seems about time ex France inhabitants, had their own forum I'am not in the least interested in Jonzjob having a new workshop in the UK

I thought this site was about living in France[/quote]

Quite apt that you call yourself grumpyaudeman, as that is a right good whinge.

Do you know how many posts I have seen over the years that started with something french related and then went to go on about how lousy the UK was, must be in the thousands, mainly from french residents, as I was for many of the years I was on here.

So no, there is a place for everyone, and for us, unlike many, if not most posters, most of our income comes from France, so we really do have very important french things in our lives and will until our dying day. And our son remained in France, and some of our best friends are french.

jonzjob, took us nearly four years until the workshop was completed, but OH is happy with it. Sometimes these things take time.........

.......... must add, due to the nature of our house, we needed planning permission and building regs and then he had to build it, so he was well occupied whilst it was being done.

Well, before we get too 'handbagged' [:'(]

The workshop is now up and running, all be it on a 'temporary' power lead. The permanent supply will go in later when we get our bedroom extension done (long story!)

I have managed to get at my lathe a couple of times and it has been a real pleasure. The biggest problem I have is that I have a lot of kit to fit in a small, after my French workshop, space and I ain't the most tidy person on this earth in there [:-))]

Still, it's getting there and thank you for your interest folks. Sorry to upset the 'grumpy one' but even in real live life conversations wander this way and that init. We found living in the Aude was a very happy experience and nowt to be grumpy about [:D]

There was a solar air hater on the garage wall. It works on the sun/UV heating a black panel and powering a small PV panel. The black panel warms the air and the PV panel powers a small fan to pump the warm air in to the place. That is now doing its job in the workshop and not doing a bad job for a freebe. The main thing is that it keeps warm air circulating in there. It is insulated, double glazed and had steel bars on the windows and a good security lock to boot. So, once I get my act together it will be quite comfortable me-thinks..

A few years ago I put a 3 phase supply into a unit a friend had built (here in France) as a workshop. He was delighted to get his huge cast iron bedded combi unit in and working. Trouble was he had built the place too small and could not manipulate long pieces of wood around the various post on the machine.

JJ now Lehaut has mentioned three phase, it reminded me, when we were buying this house, due to all the three phase stuff OH had for his woodworking, I tried to get three phase supplied.

Did any of the electricity providers even know what it was....... not on your nelly. And frankly for home use, I doubt it is ever asked for.

I ended up, what with being tenacious, talking to someone who did know what it was, but in a panic that we might want it.

In the end we bought a three phase converter, was not cheap, but heyho, cheaper than selling everything and buying again.