What is an artist?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry i'm french, my english is bad, i don't understand always very well, but, Saligo Bay, do you want to say, that, to be an artist, is only a question to pay or not cotisation ????

to be an artist, it's to be an artist, in the heart, rich or poor,  whithout any question of money, i think...

yes ? no ?

Unfortunately money means nothing to me (don't tell Sarah I said that!), to be working for my wonderful clients on their fantastic projects is my lifes dream. To be challenged every day and live with the fear of failure is a mighty challenge indeed..........

Chris

That's a difficult one.

I remember at uni the huge debates that used to erupt on the topic of the difference between an Artist and a Craftsperson. It used to do my head in!

I've pinched this from Wikipedia.

Artist
is a descriptive term applied to a person who engages in an activity deemed to be an art. It is also used in a qualitative sense of a person creative in, innovative in, or adept at, an artistic practice.

Art;
From the Latin ars, meaning "skill" or "craft"
The use of skill and imagination in the creation of aesthetic objects,

environments, or experiences that can be shared with others.

Yep nice and clear then...............[8-)]

Louise

OK: i'll try to say you what is an artist, for me.

so, i can say you how much i have been alone, all my life, a so so long time, and so sad,  in a world who say me always i was crazy: a family, an husband who say me always, "monique, monique, monique, you are crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy".

YES, I M CRAZY, IT'S FOR THAT REASON I AM AN ARTIST, AND I MAKE DREAM OTHER PEOPLE. LET ME BE CRAZY !!! LET ME DREAM AND BUILD MY DREAMS ! THEY ARE THE TRUE LIFE !

but, now, little children in school of my village learn my Planet Gagavir, the Planet of the Crazy girl.... and journalists make articles about me !  It's too funny !!!!! AND NOW MY FAMILY IS PROUD !

TOO LATE ! FAMILY AND HUSBAND, FUCK OFF !

It's for that reason that now, fifty years old,  i leave my family, and my husband, to go in Dordogne, with my REAL FAMILY: the family i have choosen, artist's family, crazy family. Heart's family. For my happiness, finally.

And now, my name is:  NoiZette. Monique has dead.

Yes Noizette you are crazy and that is what I like about you, a very nice crazy, very poetic in your beautiful texts in French that I have seen on your sites, and I love your work, as you explained somewhere, one day doing a thin white horse and another day doing a fat coloured hippopotamus, depending how you feel... no rules. 

A lot of us are crazy on here, you fit in well !   [:P]

Hmmm. Don't know what all that's about.

To answer seriously, Chris (I was doing something else last time).

I have long, long conversations with a guy at work about what art is. I take a devil's advocate position to wind him up, but he is probably right.

Art is to do with an artistic impulse, to create and to give form to an inner vision or to illustrate a statement about life and the experiencing of it. I have heard sculptors talking about releasing the shapes trapped in the stone, and you carvers very much do the same thing, surely. I am a photographer, so I try to encapsulate my vision, whether that is ironic as in so much photo-reportage or the capturing of a moment, be that in an action or a moment in which the light and shade are just so pleasing as to make the hear skip just a bit in excitement, a recognition of the aesthetic quality of a scene. Or simply something that means something to me and I want to share.

Simple? Primitive? Visceral? Of course. That was what the unknown Cro-Magnons were doing at Lascaux and it is what artists do today.

Mike (at work) says that all children are artists. I think he may be right.

I agree all children are artists Dick, I get truth from children and they matter alot and have helped me.

NoiZette...you're what I consider as an artist, you take the risks but follow your heart.....like you I feel the lucky that my clients invest the trust in me to interpret what they want from life, I know that you will do well from your teaching. I want to come to Sarlat! But forget the tea....if you're offering Champagne I'll be there!

Bisous!

[quote user="Chris Head"]

I agree all children are artists Dick, I get truth from children and they matter alot and have helped me.

[/quote]

Good Lord! All I ever get from my children is abuse, head lice and

occaisonal legal problems. But that's OK beacause I love them to bits.

Could be a form of performance art I suppose. I'll ask them in the

morning.

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Noizette, I think Saligo Bay means it is important to know whether you are classed as an artist or not (category) as the charges/cotisations are not the same, much less, for an artist than for another métier.

C'est bien ça que tu veux dire SB ?

[/quote]

Ouais, c'est ça.   As it followed on so closely from the other thread about registering as an artist, I thought it was a practical question rather than a philosophical one, i.e. how to fool the French authorities into believing you are AN ARTIST, and thus enabling yourself to run a business sans cotisations.

I did used to be quite creative and all that, but I feel zerr eess no point any more.

I'm sorry S.B and others, i have answered you too quickly, i had understood tout de travers what you said; before i can really chat on your forum, i have to perfect my english !!!

Christine, i dont know where is YOUR St Aubin, because i don't find it on your website -and there is so much St Aubin !

When i'll have a definitive house to stay, i'll go to meet you and adopt one or two little cats.... !![8-|]

Have a look at this artwork.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=402783&in_page_id=1770

If I could draw that well, I'd been lifting the paving slabs and taking them home with me !

I think those artists who do temporary art, for want of a better word, such as ice or sand scuptures and let the elements reclaim them are amazing.

i realize... i have not answered the question: what is an artist ?

i think it's somebody who one day has pushed the gate of the secret garden of the world' heart .... and he has found it so  FIZZZZING !

somebody who has an interior vision af all things

somebody who talk with the birds and the cats and the dogs....

somebody who feels every second of the time, and can be very sad, or very happy, because he is always IN EMOTIONS, good or bad; somebody who always want to be laughing or  crying and never to have the heart (and body) dead....

somebody opened and generous

somebody "crazy" (hi hi hi !!!! yet crazy! ) who is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY HUNGRY of LIFE

somebody who want to build his DREAM.

So, i thing that there is some "artists", which are not really artists, but cheaters (even if they make a good work)  and some persons which don't know they are artists, and they are.

Like Christine, with her dream of give happiness to cats and dogs... YOU, Christine, are an true artist ... better than Tracey Emin with her stupid bed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![8-|][kiss]

But none of that has anything to do with someone who produces an artifact which gives some part of the same feeling to an observer. That is quite important, I think. A dream does not make you an artist.

What does 'somebody who have talk with birds and cats and dogs mean'? I would have thought that was schizophrenia. Especially if you think they answer...

Time for a Valium, I think.