Curtains etc

Can anyone tell me some website addresses in France where i can purchase taped headings, curtain weights etc and all the other stuff required when making handmade curtains.  I've looked locally and even finding a decent fabric shop is proving difficult............so i dread to think how far i would need to travel to find all my other stuff.  Thanks

If you type " Rideaux" into Google you will find some websites. Most brico shops sell things like curtain rails, hooks wires ties etc as well as a small range of curtains. I mean shops like Mr. Bricolage. How is your french? Pat.

Hi Traci

I'm guessing you want fabric to make your own rather than buy ready made? In which case it may be better to use the phrase

'tissus au mètre' or 'tissus pour rideaux'.  I had a quick look on www.pagesjaunes.fr in the Bordeaux area and Sélection Daniel Alexandre Alex Tissus Distributeur

235 bd Alfred Daney 33300 Bordeaux seemed to have a pretty comprehensive selection of fabrics.  If you put the emboldened name in 'qui' / 'nom'  and add Bordeaux to the box labelled 'Localité' it will appear as the first result.  There is a link to a video clip which gives a walk around the store.

Not sure what the prices are like in France - we're second home owners and are lucky enough to have two very large discount warehouses near our home in the UK so (I'm afraid) we 'import' ours [Www]

Kathie

Do you have a eurodif near you? They have a fair range of fabric by the metre at a reasonable price. In Brive which is our nearest sizable town we have a Eurodif and two or three other shops that sell fabric but at much bigger prices.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a Toto in Bordeaux at 19 r Loup 33000 BORDEAUX.

If it's anything like the Montpellier Toto, there'll be about 500 times as much choice as Ikea.   Ikea used to have a nice fabric department, but when I was in the Montpellier one about a month ago it was disappointingly small and uninspiring.

There are two other huge fabric sellers in Montpellier, Mondial Tissus and Quartier des Tissus, but they might be independent.   Could be worth searching for though, just in case they're a chain?

Has someone already said, search in Pages Jaunes for "tissus", and you should get lots of hits. 

• 2 months later...

I see you are after all the other bits and peices rather than just material.  I think I would find out who makes curtains in your area (ask around or go to the Mairie or Yellow pages) and then approach them. You'll need excellent french or a sympathetic person with you as it is a little bit delicate but they'd know really wouldn't they?

If that doesn't work then you'll have to order from UK and get it sent out. John Lewis would have what you need and would ship to you too if you don't have anyone to do that.

• 2 months later...