Gallery commissions in France

Washy

[quote user="Washy"]What sort of percentage on sales would I pay on paintings in a small gallery in SW France please? [/quote]

Don't know about the SW but locally an artist we knew used to say that he had between 20% and 45% deducted from the sales prices. Unfortunately the galleries that were better at selling were also the ones that charged the most commission - so for those he upped his prices to compensate.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Le_Jars"]We run a small gallery here in the SW and we put 40% on top of what the artist wants for their work.

I've just edited out a link to my gallery just in case it's in breach of anything :)

PM me if you want a link

[/quote]

I've pm'd you, but am doubting now that your post was aimed at me.

Sorry if it wasn't![:)]

Have any of you artists out there thought of selling on line? A friend of mine is in the process of setting up a web based art gallery and I think her only charge will be 20euros per web page per year. Mind you, she is really thinking of amateurs who have too many pictures to hang at home and would like to fund their Association fees, make a bit of pocket money and share the pleasure of their work. I'll pass on her details if you pm me.

i would absolutely hate to pay 50% of my painting's selling price to a gallery. All those hours of work! Mind you, I can't paint at all so it will never happen to me.

There are plenty of web based 'galleries' around and most of them are free.

I've never sold anything on line though. I think people like to actually go to art galleries.

Like I said we add 40% to their price, not take it off. This seems to keep everyone happy. [;-)]

[quote user="Polremy"]

i would absolutely hate to pay 50% of my painting's selling price to a gallery. All those hours of work! Mind you, I can't paint at all so it will never happen to me.[/quote]

Artists rarely make a living by selling their work themselves. 50% seems enormous, but the fact is we need agents and galleries to sell our work. I'm lucky to have a good relationship with the gallery I use, and I don't mind admitting that without them I'd be in a mess.

• 1 month later...

I am a professional artist and sell work online from my own website. It costs me £35 a year and includes use of a shopping/paypal facility. I have sold work to the USA and Europe on a fairly regular basis.

I have a package from company called Mr Site (googling should get the addy.) Very reasonable and easy...even for the PC-challenged....to get set up and designed. I had my site open for business in less than a day.

Its not a substitute for doing shows/exhibitions etc...but IMO its an essential component these days.

Cheers Mozman, i've bookmarked the site - i'll have a closer look when i've got more time.

Does a google keyword search find your own site easily or are you way down the list of results? Or do you use your site simply as a prestige "business card" and hand it out to people?

pm me if you like.

• 1 month later...

I'm moving to France during next 6 months and would like to continue to sell paintings (I hope) in US and Europe - would you be able to recommend picture framer/shipper for artworks. I'll be around Dept 49 ish (Loire) but prepared to travel if needs be.