Re-upholstery of Antique Armchairs

Nell

I have two antique Howard armchairs that need to be re-upholstered. Has anyone got any recommendations on where I can get this done in the Perigueux or Nontron Areas. I need to have them done in the old-fashioned way i.e springs, padding etc…

If you cannot post names because of forum rules an email would be very much appreciated.

Regards - Nell

You might need to read the estimate sitting down. Most re-upholstery here is done the "Proper" way ,with sprung seat.carded horse-hair stuffing carefully stiched through hessian to get the required shape and proper edge. I used to do this to earn a few extra bob during my early carper fitting days. I could buy a nice cabriol legged victorian button back chair for under a tenner,strip it out,re-glue the frame joints and then do a proper job. As I used to SEW carpet seams,I used to be quite nimble with the chairs that had iron frames to the backs,as all the materials had to be stitched in place.Used to take 5 late evenings,I then took the finished chair to Lymington market on a Saturday morning and the chair,or settee, would usually be sold by 8.ooam. earning me about £15 profit.More than I earnt in wages at that time.  Unfortunately I can no longer stand the dust involved,neither can my wife!!!  I used to enjoy doing a good job reviving a comfortable and stylish chair.I learnt by watching the tradesmen upholsters who's workshop was underneath our carpet planning floor.They even used to re-stuff and cover mattresses.Don't mention foam!

Bonne Chance.