Patchwork: Help Needed with Translation

Gardian

Lest anybody think that I've gone over to the 'dark side', I'd better explain that a French acquaintance has asked if we could translate a pattern instruction into French from English. I'm OK with most of it, but a number of the technical terms are giving some difficulty.  Any help much appreciated:

• pattern  (motif?)
  • patchwork (patchwork?!!)
  • scraps
  • backing
  • wadding
  • Velcro (Velcro?) 
  • patch
  • proper sides
  • turn inside out

Also, I always think of the phrase 'un amateur' as meaning someone who is keen on something, good at it, rather than the meaning in English of someone being somewhat inept (except in the context of professional vs amateur). Is that correct?

Many thanks in advance.

• pattern  = (motif?) also  template = gabarit

• patchwork = (patchwork?!!) YES!  le patchwork!

• scraps =  chutes / echantillons (samples)

• backing fabric = doublure (also lining )
  • back of the quilt = le dos (German and Scandinavian quilters I have met often refer to this in English as the "back side" which always amuses me)[:)]

• wadding = ouate, molleton (in the U.S. it is also known as batting)

• Velcro = (Velcro?) yes

• patch =  patch / morceau

• proper sides = coté droite

• turn inside out = à l'envers
You might also be asked about these:

• a quilt  = un quilt (however the French say un Kilt!) Sometimes in France a quilt is wrongly called un boutis (the word boutis refers to a particular style of quilting which originated in the South of France)

• quilted = matelassé
  • seam allowance not included = coutures non comprises

I hope this helps. Do let me know if you have anymore queries on this subject.

Re "professional vs amateur" 

Many of the big quilt show competitions ask the entrants to state whether they are amateurs or professionals. Usually if one teaches / writes books on the subject and has won lots of prizes they are in the professional class, anyone who is a hobby / student patchworker is an amateur.

Edit, one or two corrections / additions above and below.

Endroit = right side (of fabric)

Envers = wrong side  "
"

le droit-fil = the straight grain

le biais = the bias

Epingler = to pin

le bloc = the block

Thanks to Gay, Anton and particularly you Cendrillon. 

The lady concerned is in fact a visiting Infermiere who comes by occasionally. She saw one of OH's framed cross-stitch 'pictures' and it opened a new world of discussion!  She'll be pleased.

My (French) patchwork group call a Quilt a quilt but say it the English way (and not kilt) as they all seem to know that a kilt is a skirt!  They always work by hand and call my sewing machine patchwork "american".  However we have recently done a project which involved cutting through seams so has had to be done on a machine so they are coming round..

Mrs H.

"My (French) patchwork group call a Quilt a quilt but say it the English way (and not kilt) as they all seem to know that a kilt is a skirt! "

Hi Mrs H

Well your group are obviously well educated! [:)]

You are right, I too have noticed that a lot of the French quilters piece and quilt by hand and machine work is often frowned upon. (they'll learn![;-)]) On the other hand there are a lot of French quilters who fall into the quilt artist category and they are using their machines and making some very "arty" pieces of work.