Where to Sell Old Silver Cutlery

I have inherited some old French silver cutlery - everything from spoons and forks, to tortoiseshell and silver salad servers, and the thing for holding the ham bone steady.  The knife blades are steel.  It has a nice art nouveau pattern of swirling leaves and flowers.  Being French there isn't a hallmark, but it does have the number 875 ( I think) which I do know refers to the purity of the silver (sterling silver being 925 I think).  There are around 12 place settings plus various servers.  I think it was bought in dribs and drabs, so it is not all one set.  However, this is not something I will ever use - it is sitting in a box on top of my wardrobe tarnishing nicely.  I would like to sell it and use the proceeds to buy some art for the wall which I will enjoy every day.

This is probably a really bad time to sell, but I haven't a clue about where to go or where to start.  I had thought of Ebay, but I would need to have an idea of value first.

If anyone can advise me, I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Fi

Russet House this is a great idea....though of it a while back.Before we came over we spent several years at Lots rd .....great buisness project.

Would be interested to think about setting up in this area with others....lots of planning and you need a large warehouse...but know how to do it.Anyone interested?

I am near to St Emilion...great area for this project.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I think you may have misunderstood, my advice would be to search for existing auction houses via www.Interenchere.com

I'm not sure  but might you have  to be a COMMISSAIRES-PRISEURS  to hold an auction ?

[/quote]

I am pretty sure that the auction business in France is very regulated.  My understanding is that joe public can't even bid at property auctions - it is something done by a notaire behind closed doors with much pomp and ceremony.

However, back to my problem, the next  few sales at the local auction houses (St Die des Vosges and Epinal) seem to be for catering equipment, vehicles and the like.  The nearest nedt silver sale (in June) is in Nancy which is a bit of a drag from here (especially with brats in tow!). I have no idea of the value of this stuff (I "paid" a nominal 200 pounds to my aunt's estate for it), but I think it must be worth more than that, if only for sheer quantity.  Hence my problem - I could go to an antique shop, (it's too good for a brocante), but I would want some idea of the value before going.  I spent a large chunk of yesterday evening trying to make sense of the silver mark (a crown with an 84 underneath in a square) and the maker Boulenger (Paris based end of 19th Century).

I'm not in a screaming hurry to sell it, but it just seems completly pointless having this stuff gathering dust in a box on top of the wardrobe!

Fi

Never mind.....I probably misunderstood!
Not  a problem......I have plenty of interesting projects.

And there is all the fun of  Aug Brocant in the village...who needs anything else.

[quote user="jon"]

Never mind.....I probably misunderstood!

Not  a problem......I have plenty of interesting projects.

And there is all the fun of  Aug Brocant in the village...who needs anything else.

[/quote]

Perhaps I should come to the brocante and try and flog it[:)] - the cutlery I mean.  I've spent all day making lurid cake with the children (hideous stormy weather here) - I think the sugar is getting to me!

Fi

In terms of value, the first consideration would be the scrap value of the silver  , then if it is a desirable item the price would increase upwards from the scrap base price.

eg,   -say  40 ounces at say £12 an ounce = £480.00 pounds minimum value,