DVD-R, DVD-RW, etc

Juswundrin

Thanks.

I've been looking through Google results & so on, but for whatever reason the French suppliers I've found are massively more expensive than those in the UK - particularly annoying as we're at the stage of not yet knowing which brands will work on our recorder, so we don't really want to buy in bulk...

Just stumbled upon http://www.svp.co.uk who sell mixed sample packs at good prices, think I'll try that.

Hi,

Not sure if you can access ebay.co.uk on your pc but 50 verbatim dvd-r discs now selling for £16.69. A bit cheaper than 129 euros I feel. You could always ask about p&p. I have sold things to French customers in the past and the postage is quite good.

Hope this helps

roseysan

One of the reasons that French suppliers are more expensive is that the Government impose a special tax on all blank media; tapes, discs, cassettes etc , money which then goes towards supporting French artistic output.

Thanks all.

Funny, I never think of checking ebay.co.uk these days (but as I can't abide Paypal my choice is often limited).

vmax, thanks I've bookmarked that one.

Didn't know about the blank media levy, though I remember the UK industry lobbying for similar years ago (it seems to cross the EU's radar occasionally, too).

Thanks again for all the help.

No use to you, I know, but to make a price comparison I've just paid £34.99 (€50) for 100 Panasonic DVD-R discs at PC world, they seem to work fine. The last big spindle I bought was PC World own-brand, about £30 for 100. For that you don't get jewel cases or egg roll.

Thanks Dick

I don't know whether you're using them on the Mac or a DVD recorder, but have you found many compatibility problems with different brands of blank disc? My internet research suggests it's all a bit hit & miss as to which devices a given brand will work on...

(We'll be recording on an LG machine and playing, potentially, on Toshiba and Samsung players).

Try this link it's a uk site but you can choose the french version, this link gives you a compatibility chart so you can check if the dvds are compatible with your player and the prices are very good.  Somewhere on the site you can get 100 printable for 14.99 + p&p.

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?lang=fr&menu=&page=&gad=&search_fr=&product=&product_id=2519&search=&photo=&session=d57c2a80000a49db05ddd071465fb5de

Ann

I'm using them on both, and I've had no problems so far. I hope not to have any as I have 100 photo DVDs to burn next week...

My recorder is a Sony, and it seems able to take anything. I have had some problems with the computer, but I think that was a software glitch, later updated and is now OK.

Dick,

I have used this supplier ( http://www.nierle.de/overture/fr/ )and found their prices to be competitive. I have also used SVP as mentioned by another poster.  They have good prices but poor customer service in my opinion. Finally, I have also used http://www.cdr-by-mail.co.uk/acatalog/CDR_By_Mail_DVD_R__Plus__55.html and had a good luck. It is worth checking all of them as they are quite competitive.  I have not found an inexpensive source in France.

Jim

Hi

we've recently discovered www.eudiscs.com

I don't think you can beat them for price, 100 dvd-r for €20 !  (more for brand names but way cheaper than anywhere else I've looked) They sell CD blanks & cases for disks etc. Delivery in France is €9.99 DHL. I've had no burn failures or compatability issues using their media. I have no association with the company, other than as a satisfied customer.

hope that helps

Tony