Satalite navifation systems - cheaper in France?

Derkins

If you only want street level mapping of France, you will need to buy in France.  If you envisage using your SatNav in more than one country I’d suggest you buy one with European street level mapping included as extra country maps are fairly expensive to buy separately.

If the model you are thinking of buying has European street level mapping included (eg TomTom Go 700 / 710 / 910 / new version of One + European map), then you can buy wherever is cheapest.  Remember to consider the service implications of buying “abroad”, although I’m sure TomTom will uplift and return by courier to any country where their products are sold as faulty items are repaired in Holland.

A quick look on the internet shows TomTom Go 710 at €599 (about £404) in Darty, Dixons website is £355; Go 910 is €699 (£471) in Darty, £428 in Dixons.  Shop around for the one you’re after – but be prepared to accept it will be cheaper by Christmas!

(I’ve got a Go 700 – there may be some bargains around on the old range).

• 3 weeks later...
I use a Garmin on my bike and in the car. The map database is on the computer and contains the whole of Europe. It even has every hotel, resaurant and BMW bike dealer in it. When the other companies like Tom Tom came along and tried to make cheaper GPSs they often saved money by giving only country specific maps. A good Garmin can be had for less than £300 adn they are well made units. I used to use Garmin in my flying days.

I have had two cars with built in systems that covered 15-20 European countries. The first was in my Ford & made by Becker. The second was fitted by Jeep but I believe was also a Becker. They both worked superbly in the UK and quite well in Europe. They were supplied with CD's for the mapping. Just before we moved here I bought an inexpensive one from Tchibo, the Coffee Shop to use in my wife's car. It was made by Medion and cost £169.00p. It was fantastic and worked better than the one in my car costing ten times more! I was so impressed that I bought their French map supplied on CD for £70.00p. I knew that you could buy cheaper copies but I didn't want problems cropping up. Unfortunately I was unable to load the French map onto the system. I was supplied a second unit, but had the same problem. I was given my money back, but was still impressed with how the unit worked in the UK. I believe it was probably just a software problem. Having got to France, I have seen advertised what I believe is the same unit for sale in a supermarket chain. I have yet to check it out, but if it's the same, it will be even better value.

Hope this helps.

Paul 

The Meo A701 mobile phone has GPS inbuilt in it and costs around 450 - 550 euro's. For this you get something which you can use as a telephone, camera, wordprocessor (all office utilities), watch movies, listen to music, etc. Seems a better idea to invest in this than a stand alone GPS IMHO.

-Rob-

Auchan have one on promo at the moment for 169 euros, don't ask me for any more details as I just saw the billboard while passing and am not an afficionado. 

I would not have one myself preferring to use good old fashioned maps to gain my "sense d'orientation".

[quote user="J.R."]

Auchan have one on promo at the moment for 169 euros, don't ask me for any more details as I just saw the billboard while passing and am not an afficionado. 

I would not have one myself preferring to use good old fashioned maps to gain my "sense d'orientation".

[/quote]

Just because there is a sat nav system in a car it does not stop you looking at a map at the same time. You can open a map then look at the GPS and see where you are on the map. The best bit is the GPS can show a large scale map of the whole of France down to a very detailed map of a town with all the street names. You would need a very large car to carry that many maps!

I consider a talking GPS to be safer, especially on a motorbike, because you can concentrate on the road ahead without worrying about the route. I have a bluetooth model so there are no wires to my helmet. I have only used Garmins - III,2610 then BMW NavII which was swapped under warranty for the BMW NavIII which is excellent however I believe the Garmin 2820 is even more versatile because you can also use it as an MP3 player. Both the Nav III and the 2820 accept bluetooth phonecalls thru the GPS.

• 4 weeks later...

I use the Evesham Technologies  "Destinator "  Blue Media ......Now selling in Makro for  £139 plus Vat  .Comes with CDs for 20 countries in  Europe. I put the French map on another SD Flash card and just change the card when I get off the ferry  It will tell you where the UK Cameras are as well...but not the French ones.......It took me to the NOZ shop I wanted in Fontenay le Compt  after the address from the yellow pages was put in and you cant do better than that...... it was my first visit to the town ...Bought in England instructions in English..... cant afford to be without it now and .its saved me loads in time and  fuel costs in France .