Consumer rights in France...are there any?????

chilly

There were a couple of informative articles on consumer rights and information in the on-line French Accent magazine (http://www.frenchaccentmagazine.com/index.html).  It appears that in order to access advice from the main consumer defence organizations you have to subscribe to their monthly publications or go in person to one of their offices (www.60millions-mag.com or www.quechoisir.org), however a new website has been recently created which gives you free access to lots of practical consumer information (www.conso.net).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Chilly - perhaps you should write in another colour - green has unfortunate connotations for this thread [:D]

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/g.htm

[/quote]

Just had a look at the site. One entry I liked was:

Exclam. An exclamation of anger at someone, such as 'get lost!' The demand isn't meant literally.

Glad they added that - means less people queueing at A&E [:D]

This post has been editd by a moderator according the the Code of Conduct: Forum users must not post messages which Contain explicit language or vulgarities (whether written in French, English or any other language.

• 4 weeks later...

havent read all the mails but www.quechoisir.org is a consumer site for 50 euros a year you get weekly reviews and access to assistance juridique for allconsumer related problems they reviews items and services and then give feedback on quality reliability value for money faults problems etc joined up recently and got some usefull information and it could help save buying a duff product and steer you towards the better brands

I must have been very lucky. I have had to take three things back during my time in France and can only say that the service has been excellent.

1. Electric Pneumatic drill. Mr Bricolage. Motor burnt out. Had to be returned to factory for rewinding. Received item back in as new condition and has been used quite heavily over the last three years since the repair. No problems.

2. External USB disk drive. Boulanger. Disk drive electroncs failed. I turned up at the shop I had bought it from to explain the problem but had forgotten to bring the Power supply. No problem, they opened a new package, tested it and then replaced the disk unit without any fuss. No problems since swap, over a year ago.

3. Twin diamond disk channel gouging tool. Carrefour. Starting circuit failed after a couple of uses. Carrefour unable to provide repair/replacement but refunded in cash the total amount.

I am entirely happy with the service I have received so far.

I would point out to anyone approaching an After Sales Department, that it will definately help if you can maintain a sense of humour and deal with the staff in a friendly, not grovelling manner. The staff have to take a lot of flack from some irate customers and will, I'm sure, appreciate a bit of politeness in dealing with them. Anyway my method seems to work.  [:D]

The answer to the original question is that yes there are rights, but no the commercants don't respect them.

Why else do they have all those consumers' associations, which are recognised by the State?

Did you know that manufacturers' warranties are typically parts only, labour and deplacement excluded?

Thats so interesting..where did you glean this info? Certainly thats been my experience when I've taken several things back after a few months and have been told that they will have it repaired and then promptly send it away for several weeks leaving you without any appliance at all. Whereas in the UK they normally just give you a new one. Perhaps we've just come to expect that to be the norm!

C

[quote user="chilly"]

Thats so interesting..where did you glean this info? Certainly thats been my experience when I've taken several things back after a few months and have been told that they will have it repaired and then promptly send it away for several weeks leaving you without any appliance at all. Whereas in the UK they normally just give you a new one. Perhaps we've just come to expect that to be the norm!

C [/quote]

I've found it depends where you bought the item from. We had an oil-filled heater from Weldom which functioned fine for a few months then developed an oil leak, Weldom replaced it instantly. It wasn't an expensive heater either, just a bottom of the range one. The same with Casto - no problems with replacement at all, but Lidl is a different story outside of the one month relacement/refund comfort zone.

Sue

[quote user="Spg"]... but Lidl is a different story outside of the one month relacement/refund comfort zone.[/quote]

I have had no problem getting replacements or refunds for damaged goods from Lidl.

I have phoned their 0800 number on three occasions, got to speak to a real person within 3 to 5 rings and got a polite, helpful and positive outcome each time.

Well I must have got through on three occasions to the only person who is employed solely to deflect/deter and otherwise put you off achieving a satisfactory outcome to the problem. I was told by Lidl to ring the supplier, which I did, who then told me I did not have the correct receipt; back to Lidl who informed me I did have the correct receipt and to ring the suppliers again and so it went on. I made no progress at all. I went back to the Lidl branch I bought the item from and they could suggest no other alternative - but they were very pleasant about it. I gave up on that occasion and threw the offending item away.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...
Slightly different, but............

Went to look at a new King size mattress, and as luck would have it, found the exact thing we needed, on offer, if we took it away that day. Well it was soooooo cheap, I thought even if I have to tie it to he roof of the Rav, it's going home with us!" No problem", says the guy in the shop, "here's he keys to our van, deliver it yourself, just try and get the van back in 30 mins". Nice!