Super U Brit Section !

Frederick

Our local Carrefour in Fougere (dept 35) had crumpets at  Christmas 2005, in the bakery section but not Christmas 2006.  I was very disappointed as I was looking forward to eating them again for breakfast on Christmas morning, just dripping with butter and honey!! When we lived in the UK it was one of our Christmas traditions. Don't ask me why!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Tresco"]

[quote user="KathyF"]...However I can sympathise with nostalgia among permanent residents for some of the things that are typically British and which just don't have an equivalent here.  [/quote]

Crumpets. If anyone sees Crumpets please tell me.[:)]

[/quote]

I saw some at lunchtime..........when I opened my freezer, they were next to the Asda Hot X buns[:D]

I have to go back to the UK this weekend, after reading this thread guess what is now top of my shopping list?

Another question for those able to reply before I leave tomorrow morning.

I am going to a pique-nique with French friends as soon as I return so I won't have time to prepare anything and will be buying what I will take in England, any suggestions as to what would be different but enjoyable for them? - Adults and children.

I thought of sausage rolls and perhaps scotch eggs but I seem to remember that a french girlfriend refused to even try one last time!

Oh stop it already with the crumpets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could just eat a pack of good old warburtons with lashings of butter, its bad enough when mumsie is scoffin 'em whilst chatting on the webcam, oh well, when in France CROISSANTS[:D]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and starwberry tarts from the pattiserie[6])

When I went shopping I also bought a really nice pork pie, with a hot water pastry crust and a hardboiled egg in the middle. Salty jelly, but not too much, and delicate pink meat.

Then I went to the Chinese supermarket to buy crispy roast duck and hoisin sauce...

Did I mention the crumpets?

[quote user="Dick Smith"]When I went shopping I also bought a really nice pork pie, with a hot water pastry crust and a hardboiled egg in the middle. Salty jelly, but not too much, and delicate pink meat.

Then I went to the Chinese supermarket to buy crispy roast duck and hoisin sauce...

[/quote]

Sounds nice Dick...............I just ate my dinner outside (still in shorts and Tshirt) because it is so hot and still light........[6]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]When I went shopping I also bought a really nice pork pie, with a hot water pastry crust and a hardboiled egg in the middle. Salty jelly, but not too much, and delicate pink meat.

[/quote]

Dick what time is your next blood test due???  My dad would be upto about 22 on the naughty scale after attemping that lot[:$]

Did I mention the caramel eggs, cadbury flake dark, ginger biscuits or bourbon creams? no?, oh I forgot the Hollands Meat pies, steak and kidney pies and puddings in the freezer.........oh and the bachelors mushy peas in a tin.[6]

So no advances (other than a "yuk" which is what my French girlfriend said!) on sausage rolls and scotch eggs?

Over dinner I thought of taking proper butchers "sossidges" because my friends are taking a barbecue as well, I said to them that I thought i was going to a french picnic not an american one.

I suppose that I could take loads of packets of rehydrogenated E numbers and carbonated chemical fizzy alcopops, at least the kids would appreciate the cultural exchange!

What would be in a traditional English picnic hamper?

[quote user="Meg and Mog and dog"]Sounds nice Dick...............I just ate my dinner outside (still in shorts and Tshirt) because it is so hot and still light........[6]
[/quote]

You are very lucky.   Down by the Med here it went all cool and cloudy in the late afternoon, so we had our tea indoors.   Not much of the 5.50-euros-a-kilo asparagus left either after I cut off the tough bits.   Sigh.    

Crikey thats some posh asparagus you had there , 1 euro a bunch at the market today(though to be honest I didn't weith it) and 1 euro 80 per kilo at the Arab grocers yesterday.

get some hoola hoops and sasparella for the pic-nic , definatly some mini pork pies and a decent coleslaw (instead of that celriac stuff and carrot rape)

[quote user="opas"]

Crikey thats some posh asparagus you had there , 1 euro a bunch at the market today(though to be honest I didn't weith it) and 1 euro 80 per kilo at the Arab grocers yesterday.

[/quote]

Les Halles at Lunel, market stalls outside.   They were all that price, and plenty people were buying.   Glad I didn't buy a kilo, cos it was just for 2 of us.

Sarsparilla is a cordial drink made from herbs, where I lived it was made by the herbalist (orriginal recipe from his great grandfather , I think) It was sold in the shop many years ago when it was a temperance bar. It is a lovely drink, very unusual taste, sort of liquorice and peppery........somone will have a better explanation. It is a MUST have when we visit my dad in UK.

Just a thought, if there are to be children , why not bring some sherbet dips.........you know the tubes of sherbet with a spanish/licorice to dip with, I don't think I have ever seen those in france, though I may add that a mod on Anglophone direct had hers confiscated ! true!