Super U Brit Section !

Frederick

[quote user="opas"]

Crikey thats some posh asparagus you had there , 1 euro a bunch at the market today(though to be honest I didn't weith it) and 1 euro 80 per kilo at the Arab grocers yesterday.

[/quote]

I went to a different market today.  Asked how much the asparagus was, and she said "the price has come down, it's only 4 euros a kilo".  I didn't buy any because there was still a load of white stuff on it that ends up in the bin.

She was quite emphatic that it's just pas possible that asperges could be any cheaper.   The season is SO short, and it's SO difficult to ramasser, it's a product that never drops its price, and blah blah blah blah blah.

It was 1.90 euros in the supermarket for 500g, so same price as her, but greener and less waste. 

And y'all wonder why I'm not impressed with French markets!  [:)]   It's no wonder people pile into the big supermarkets.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="opas"]I think you have the 2 mixed up, definatly 2 different drinks and tastes. Did you have sasparilla tablets? they were hard boiled sweets. Quite different from the taste of Dandelion and Burdock, and not fizzy.[/quote]I know that they are different.  I suspect it was because, in those days, sasparilla was referred to a lot in those old Western black and white tv series and we just thought it was a smart thing to drink so we adopted the name for our favorite tipple!

[quote user="Tresco"]

Crumpets. If anyone sees Crumpets please tell me.[:)]

[/quote]

Carraffour in Toulouse sell them made by Hovis, Bought 4 packs last month and froze them.Going back to Toulouse next week so hopefully will still being selling them. The kids prefer muffins , which you can buy in most local supermarkets

Opas, in my spare time I'm studying some old wills of a midlands parish. In them sarsaparilla appears as the dried roots of a South American tree used to make a tonic.

This was in  16th century England.

Have you ever had real dandelion & burdock ? Wonderful. When I was a child, we used to call at a particular cottage on the way home from Sunday School  to ask for a glass of water. We knew the lady would give us home-made dandelion and burdock.

Hoddy

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="cooperlola"]When I was a nipper, sasparilla was the local name given to dandelion and burdock.[/quote]

I think I know where Cooperlola hails from and if correct she may remember buying home made sarsaparilla from "the blood drink shop", it was definitely herbal.

[quote user="Tresco"]

JC, I have arranged to pick my crumpets up within a couple of days after they buy them. Crumpets in England have quite a long shelf life you know.

I'm happy. Go on, be a devil and be happy for me.[6]

[/quote]

I am now the proud owner of 32 crumpets. [:D] (Neighbours just bought them back for me)  So i am happy for you Tresco!!!

Fussy....brown crumpets? [8-)]

WILL YOU STOP GOING ON ABOUT CRUMPETS!! My mom has just come over from cornwall and was bringing some clotted cream and scones but she was refused permission to take the cream on the plane in hand luggage so we've got scones but NO CREAM - what's the use of scones without clotted cream and which clot decided that cream could be used to disable a plane?