Super U Brit Section !

Frederick

I  noticed our local Super U now have a section displaying lots of litttle Union Jacks on the shelving ....closer  inspection reveals ..Tetley  and Typhoo   tea bags.... proper ones no string !......... Birds Custard ...  Tins of treacle   tins of shortbread  biscuits  and the like .....The penny is dropping  from the lots of campsites up and down the coast that  Brits are  visiting ...and  from those who have bought houses near by .. they have realised at last  just how many people are wanting these things.  

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frederick wrote

I  noticed our local Super U now have a section displaying lots of litttle Union Jacks on the shelving ....closer  inspection reveals ..Tetley  and Typhoo   tea bags.... proper ones no string !......... Birds Custard ...  Tins of treacle   tins of shortbread  biscuits  and the like .....The penny is dropping  from the lots of campsites up and down the coast that  Brits are  visiting ...and  from those who have bought houses near by .. they have realised at last  just how many people are wanting these things.

You seen the prices,   Heinz Baked Beans at £1.50 a tin, yep the French know mugs when they see them!!

Yes, saw them in our local Super-U last time we were over. What I can't understand is why holday-makers would want to buy them at all. If you come over on the normal 2-week holiday, surely one of the big things you want to do is sample the local food - otherwise you might as well go to Bridlington or Bournemouth.  As for us, with our holiday cottage for longer visits (as from next week when I retire [:D]) we find ourselves taking French food home with us at the end of our stay, rather than bringing lots of stores with us from Britain - give me tinned cassoulet over Heinz baked beans any day.

However I can sympathise with nostalgia among permanent residents for some of the things that are typically British and which just don't have an equivalent here.  I'm sure I would miss certain items if I was here all the time, which I can happily live without for weeks or even months on holiday - Cheddar cheese springs to mind here....

[quote user="KathyF"]...However I can sympathise with nostalgia among permanent residents for some of the things that are typically British and which just don't have an equivalent here.  [/quote]

Crumpets. If anyone sees Crumpets please tell me.[:)]

How very Ben Gunn!

The Fish and Chip Man at Mortain sometimes sells Mother's Pride crumpets...

Our local Champion has sold English mustard, baked beans, marmalade, marmite etc for a while. The beans come in handy when the local charcuterie does hachis parmentier. Nursery food from heaven!

I can see some crumpets from here, Tresco my sweet.  Look, just there on the kitchen worktop, there are 4 left in that packet.  Mother's Pride they are, brought them over from Waitrose in Romsey at the weekend.   Just imagine them toasty hot, with butter melting in...... mmmmmmmmmmmm.

You are both evil fiends.

I bought two packets (Warburtons) to bring back with me in March.

Unfortunately, I made two stops on the way to the airport; one was to say 'bye mum' to my mum, and then over the Pennines to see my big brother.

I don't know why I mentioned the the crumpets, but it was sheer folly. 16 Crumpets gone![:'(]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]In one go? I once managed three, I don't think I could do 16, no matter how much creamy Normandy butter I slewed over their golden, freckled surfaces to seep gently into the soft doughy mass beneath.
[/quote]

Oh pleeeease stop.

Mum and I had 6 and my brother and I had the rest.

I think it's a genetic problem/blessing. It's why I only bought two packets.

Branston Pickle.  [:D]

The only think I have bought from the English section - for adding to my Saturday night Chilli, Spag Bol etc.  Couldn't cook without it!! 

Dick & RumziGal - please stop being so cruel to poor Tresco - can't you see how upset you're making her by talking about having crumpets!! [:-))] 

To get back to the crumpets, I have to go to Sainsburys today. I wonder if they will have crumpets on sale? I expect so. I expect I shall buy some and enjoy a few with a nice cup of tea this afternoon. Toasted on a fork in front of a roaring fire as it's a bit chilly and damp here today. Mmmmm.

Ah! I love the whole sensuous business, from the first crunch of the delicious dimpled surface, almost suntanned in its glorious toasted brown-ness through to the soft, yielding inner part, to the melted butter dribbling, slightly hot, onto my fingers, then licking the last morsels from my lips...

Ahhh stop it!! A pack of Crumpets is the one thing every visitor has to bring over.............i love them sooooo much, mmmm with cheddar on. It did cross my mind to try and make some...........

Ah well at least it's really hot and sunny here...........