CHERRIES!!!

Jonzjob

The soft fruit season is wel under way and we are overdosing on it all. We have a local farmer that sell hiss produce on one of the roundabouts near to us and WOW! ODing, can you OD on cherries, strawberries, asperagus, abricots and all the others. Because if you can we probably will. The farmer must think that we have a large family, just the 2 of us, because we are there twice a week and get a 'bon kilo' of cherries, 3 livre punnets of strawberries and a couple of kilos of asperge each time. What a wonderful time of year.

Soon the peaches, nectarines and encore du abricots too..... The best way to eat the peaches is in the bath. That way you don't loose all the juice!!!!

Had a glut of them, redcurrants and wild strawberries.  Was making frangepan today and with the left overs of fruit and frangepan, greased ramikins, mixed the frit into the almond mix and baked for 10 mins or so - and they taste WONDERFUL.

Good idea for little bits of fruit rather than just dump them.

But freezers are filling up already. 

Is it just me, but cherries this year are a disaster, both big trees that normally are full and keep us and the neighbours going for weeks have a dozen between them,  same for the dark cherry tree but that is young so wasn't expecting much.  Many of the leaves have been eaten and the wind and cold seems to have done for the rest[:(].

I planted a cherry tree a few years ago and this year was loaded with fruits - I was looking forward to eating them once they ripened when one day I noticed every single one of them gone to birds [:@]

Never mind I thought, as the house next door has a mature tree and is a 2nd home where we are allowed to help ourselves to any fruit when the owners aren't there.  Blow me down,  all of theirs had gone too and there must have been kilos and kilos of them [:'(]

I also have a couple of mature red leaved cherry trees which have been nothing but ornamental really but this year they are loaded and don't seem to be touched by the birds - maybe they can't see the fruit as they're the same colour as the leaves.  They aren't ripe yet but I have tried a few and they are nice but a little sour - anyone know what variety they might be?

Hi Suze

Try doing what my neighbours do, when the fruit is ready, they put radios in the tree and have them playing all day and night and it seems to do the trick!  When they first told me I thought they were taking the you know what, but quite a few neighbours have radios in their trees and it does work!!

Jetlag

ps mix fm seems to be the favourite!

I had a lovely glut of cherries off my 2 trees this year, they are all gone now[:(] I am awaiting on the plum tree to produce. But just this evening , my 89 year old neighbour brought me a box of his first peaches of the season ......they are small but smell devine and i shall leave them untill tomorrow before i attack them!

[quote user="Just Katie "]I get so envious of you guys living in France with your abundance of cherries. I paid £4.00 for half a kilo of cherries yesterday.[/quote]

What's to be jealous of? Unless you've got a tree in France, cherries aren't particularly cheap. OK, cheaper than £4 for half a kilo, but still around €7.50-€7.90/Kg on all our local markets last week.

I paid 4 euros a kilo for cherries on saturday and 2 euro for strawberries.  Also white asparagus was 4 euros a kilo at the market (9.99 in the hypermarket !!).  I'm glad someone on this site mentioned that asparagus makes your wee smell awful [+o(]  - after pigging out I was convinced I had some terrible bladder infection until I remembered that nugget of information

I'm glad we don't live in your neck of the woods Betty. Our cherries are 5€/kilo and the farmers kilo weighs in at about 1.25k. Strawberries 5€ for 3 1/2 kilo punnets and asperge vert anything from 2.50€ a bon kilo up to 5€ for the big stuff. Not too keen on the asperge blanche though...

Glad he's back on the roundabout again tomorrow!! Running short of lovely things to munch [:-))].

I thought the same as you Pierre about the wee wee smell??? Till I found out that is!!

[quote user="Just Katie "]I get so envious of you guys living in France with your abundance of cherries. I paid £4.00 for half a kilo of cherries yesterday.[/quote]

I saw a 385gm punnet of cherries in an M & S shop on the M40 last weekend - £5.99!  Glad to get back down here.

Went to chums house today - he has 10 cherry trees but doesn't want to pick them and certainly doesn't cook - and in half an hour we managed to pick 4 kilos, the black, very juicy ones.

All now very neatly bottled in eau de vie or tucked up nicely into frangepan tarts.  And there's more to come!

Our crop was not so good this year. Unfortunately whitsun fell a little later this year and by the time we got to the house the blackbirds had eaten a lot of them. Only got enough to make 3 bottles of Cherry brandy. The rest were either split, half eaten too old. Last year we were getting bowl-fulls of them. On the other hand I hard cropped the ancient grapevine back in our garden last year thinking it would probably die. It seems to have come back stronger than before. Hope I'll be down to enjoy them this year.