Miss-selling a photovoltaic system. Who to complain to?

Paul Bradford

Our photo-voltaic system has just been commissioned and as of last Monday afternoon we are exporting electricity for EDF to buy back. The installation company and EDF were there to commission it. The EDF technician asked me why we had a 4kw system installed as we would have had a larger FIT (feed in tariff) had we gone for the 3kw. Ours is €0.46 per kwh against €0.58 per kwh for the smaller system. I had only just found this out having seen an advert in Auchan supermarket. I told him that it would be something that I would be taking up with the company as our potential gain for the more expensive system was approx €130.00 per year. The EDF guy then went on to say that with the smaller system we wouldn't have to pay tax on what we sold to EDF, whereas we will now. I was surprised to hear this as we had been told that only systems over 10kw which were classed as commercial would attract taxation. The Installation guy looked uncomfortable and said he would make sure the Sales agent was told. I'm am needless to say quite unhappy with the situation and wonder if anyone knows to whom I could complain. I pointed out to the Sales agent that I was quite a sceptical person and asked a lot of questions before agreeing to the contract. I also told her that I had read articles about companies miss-selling systems. She told me that was in the past and the industry was performing better now. I'm not unhappy with the system. I just have an issue that we were not given all of the facts and believe the company were more interested in selling us the system that worked better for them.

As always, you should complain in the first instance to the company who sold you the equipment.

However, you may wish to check your actual EDF contract - their website indicates a contract for energie photovoltaïque is reimbursed at a rate of 30 c€/kWh, + prime d'intégration au bâti de 25 c€/kWh.  No mention of any price differential between a 3kw and a 4kw system.

As regards liability for income tax, the Impots issued a rescrit (n°2007/20 du 29/05/2007) aimed at producers:

http://impot-service.blogspot.com/2007/06/rescrit-situation-fiscale-des.html