Not giving land rights to a helpful farmer.

Manon

We needed to have our meadow cut and a local farmer has cut it for us and will take the hay for his animals. We are intending to pay him 100euros for doing it. Are we creating any problems for ourselves by doing this and if we get him to do it every year on the same basis do we give him any rights ? Any advice gratefully received.

Hi, just wondered why you are going to pay him? We have one small field cut and the usual agreement is half each, he gets cheap hay and I have a small amount of hay. your farmer will more than likely buy the rest off you anyway as hay is expensive this year in some areas. I buy round bales at 35 euros but prices vary in each area, you can buy straight  from the field at around 21 euros to give you a rough idea.

When we looked into it we were told as long as no money exchanges hands there wouldn't be a problem, so we have had the same farmer take the hay for years now.

Having said that, from what I understand, allowing a farmer to plant crops or put animals on the field is a totally different matter and could potentially easily allow the farmer to gain rights to your land but just taking hay is a different matter. It may be worth looking into though because it has been a few years ago when we received this information and perhaps each dept has different rules. We are located in Dordogne.

We have been told all sorts from old and young alike.

I looked into this same topic and I think the conclusion was not to get into a situation that could cause problems. 

It seems that court proceeding happen alot to the French.

I sort of understood that if we paid him - either in hay or cash or a mixture- then it became a matter of us simply buying a service from him rather than him receiving a benefit from our land i.e.grazing or similar , in which latter case if he paid us then he got rights ? It is so complicated but we do need our field cut - he got 12 round bales of varying quality hay. Thanks for all the replies so far.