import Duty from USA?

dave21478

Hello, does anyone know how much (or where i could find out) Import duty rates and fees are when ordering from USA?

I have spotted a couple of things on ebay USA that i have been looking for for a long time. Value are around $100 and $300 (60 / 180 € ish)

Its likely to be sent USPS if that makes any difference.

Depends entirely what the object is.  There are around 16 000 classifications with rates from 0% to skys-the-limit.

There is more info HERE unfortunately it doesn't give the rates, you have to phone up.  Same rates apply to all EU countries.  On top of all, you will also be charged VAT.

A friend of mine in the US made me an American Indian ceremonial drum. I sent her the cost of the materials and when she posted it she valued it for insurance purposes at $300. What a palaver!!! After much correspondence from the Douanes by letter and emails, explaining what the gift was, etc.  I ended up waiting over a month and paying 60 euros when it was finally delivered.. I think it was the value given that caused the hoo-ha! Annoying really, as the materials were a third of that.. but how do you put a value on a handmade and very individual item like that? I've had smaller packages from  the US without a problem, but they were valued at under $20. Good luck with your purchases!

Well, the firt item turned up aleady. Car parts with a value of $100 which would have cost me several times that here. Sent USPS and only took 4 days to come from the other side of the planet...Im well impressed.

Evidently no duty to pay as the postie or courier (I dont know who delivered it) just left it on my doorstep today while I was out.

Happy days

• 2 weeks later...

I have ordered a few things from the US, unfortunately the tax was calculated on the price of the goods AND the postage. This was collected by the shipper UPS or Fedex who were adamant that this was correct.

Perhaps if you ask UPS they can advise of the tax payable.

Duty and TVA are charged on the landed, CIF price (cost + insurance + freight).

I usually estimate that goods will cost twice their dollar price, and am then happy if it comes out lower.

Sometimes goods by USPS seem to be missed by the douanes.

I regularly order craft goods from the US and so far (contrary to expectations) have never been charged anything on top.  Sometimes the orders have been for well over $100 but still no extra charges on top, so perhaps it does depend on what the goods are.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
[quote user="nomoss"]

Duty and TVA are charged on the landed, CIF price (cost + insurance + freight).

I usually estimate that goods will cost twice their dollar price, and am then happy if it comes out lower.

Sometimes goods by USPS seem to be missed by the douanes.

[/quote]

I have heard, also, that goods by USPS are not checked by douanes, is this true ? or just luck