Tesco delivered to South west France

Barbel Bob

Hi,

Sorry but I am not sure how this works!  How do you place an order?  If you log into the Tesco site for example do you put your address in France and then select the Sterling Shopping address for delivery.  Will it accept a french address?

Sorry if I am just being thick!

Julie

If you go to their website, you will find a UK address, to give to your online home delivery company. After verifying a delivery date with "Sterling" you go-online to Tesco etc. and have the goods delivered, just before the cut off point for acceptance by "Sterling".

Despite my original scepticism about this company and my post being pulled (I still don't know why that was) I have since ordered from Argus UK, a bulky item to be delivered to me here in France on the 9th May.

[quote user="sweet 17"]Nothing except that I'd find making the mince a bit of a challenge.[/quote]

Actually a lot easier than you might think, dried fruit, grated apple, chopped peel etc mixed up with brandy ( whiskey if you're Irish! ) The biggest challenge would be finding suet in France[:)] and if this firm is as good as it looks, no problemo[:D][:D]

EWwwwwwwwww! Not enough alcohol Sweets[:D] I have just finished using a batch of mincemeat I made 4 years ago, and apart from probably having an illegal alcohol content, was fine. If you'd like the recipe.........?

Ok, can't find the Irish one, must be over in France ( I'm in UK at the moment.....Oh! the joy of soon having everything under one roof!) I will look it out when I am back over, this is the "bog standard" one,

4 perfect apples peeled cored and grated

1lb seedless raisins

1lb sultanas ( I leave these out as I can't stand them! Just up the raisins/currants )

12oz currants

8oz candied peel chopped

1lb soft brown sugar

1lb shredded beef suet

2oz flaked almonds

juice and zest of 2 lemons and 1 orange

2tsp each of ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves

3 generous wine glasses of brandy ( and then a quick splash for good measure[:-))] )

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl cover with a tea towel and leave for 3 days stirring occasionally, then pot into sterilised glass jars, store in a cool dark place for at least two weeks before using, but the longer it's left the more it matures[:)]

Good tip, never use bruised or damaged fruit[geek] Enjoy[:D][:D][:D]

Works as well with veggie suet.  I usually leave mine in a very low oven for 2-3 hours so the suet melts - as the coating of suet preserves the other ingredients.  Btw you can substitute the dried fruit listed with other ingredients - I have used dried mangoes, pineapple, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, dates, figs, pears, peaches, pineapple - you name it!  As long as the proportions are the same, let your imagination run riot!

You can use the mincemeat as filling for eccles cakes - you just need puff pastry.  Glaze with egg and sprinkle with preserving sugar (which has much larger sugar granules so looks much better!)

Jeremy Clarkson did an experiment one Christmas with sherry trifle, mince pies, brandy beans etc to see if you could talk your way out of a ticket by blaming Aunt Thelma's cooking[:-))] Apparently to ingest enough to register, you would have thrown up loooooong before[+o(]

[quote user="osie"]Its a great sought after service which it seems is not all that well known at present... however, I must say that I am a bit pessimistic in saying that I find it hard that they can make a profit.

[/quote]

They're obviously doing pretty well.  Next week's delivery slots were all taken up by early last week and and Late May's delivery is already half complete!

I've been a right anorak over this shopping mullarky this last couple of weeks, here's my findings...

Even better... Sainsbury offer free UK delivery if your order comes over £100 (not difficult these days) so you only pay Sterlings 10%!  Sainsbury's also allow you to keep amending your order up until the night before their delivery which Tesco's site doesn't!

Arranged for the delivery to Sterling on the Thursday, picked up on the Saturday at Perigueux - everything in excellent condition including a lot of chilled products which Sterling kindly put in 'Cool bags' during the journey (you need to take your own when picking up).  I ordered... sausages, bacon, sausage rolls, chicken kiev's, butter, cheese, MullerRice, Pork Pie's, Cornish Pasties, Elmlea double cream - most of this went straight into the freezer and has subsequently defrosted perfectly inlcuding the pork pies!!!.  For those that critisize... I have made most of these things myself over the past 5 years of living here, or can buy them here but at the moment they're cheaper in the UK and I miss the convenience of some of these food products!

It's worth checking out the 'Special Offers' first on these sites too, just remember to check that the offer doesn't finish before your delivery although if an item you've ordered at full price then goes on 'special' your final bill will reflect this as I found out when I ordered Brita Classic water filters this time. eg: I put a pack of 6 in my basket on 29th April at £20.00 (they're 35,90€ in Auchan btw) and they're now on special at £17.81.

I too hope Sterling lots of success for the future!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I've just checked sterlings website this morning and they've put up their charges to 15%!!! That didn't take long. I've been telling loads of people to check them out and what a good deal it is etc. at 10%. I'm sure they have theirs reasons but upping the price by 50% without explaination or warning is going to upset a few people.

I note your message about the price increase from my company but would offer you a fairly simple reason. I had not counted on most Brits love of a two for one offer and hence me hauling twice as much product in some cases without being paid. In effect at times, I was charging 5% which clearly didn't work and wasn't intended.

I am passionate about our service, as many of my customers have already found out. I go the extra mile to ensure good value deliveries, but I cannot run the service at a loss.

We do not have all the answers at Sterling and welcome advice and suggestions from anyone

All the best

Simon Goodenough

Sterling Shopping

I would have a concern about ordering chilled items. If a lot of people order chilled goods, how certain can you be that the goods will be kept at a low enough temperature, either at the delivery address, or en route to drop off? The temperature in a van can get quite high on the journey.