Greek Yoghurt

hakunamatata

I must apologise, I am a new member and having great trouble in submitting my posts.   My question is why can we not buy Greek yoghurt in France, not to mention Hallumi and good Feta Cheese.  Surely the French would love it and compared to the UK Greece is only down the road!!   If any one knows the answer, or where such goods are available, PLEASE reply.  Not Greek Style you understand but REAL Greek

[quote user="hakunamatata"]I must apologise, I am a new member and having great trouble in submitting my posts.   My question is why can we not buy Greek yoghurt in France, not to mention Hallumi and good Feta Cheese.  Surely the French would love it and compared to the UK Greece is only down the road!!   If any one knows the answer, or where such goods are available, PLEASE reply.  Not Greek Style you understand but REAL Greek[/quote]

You can get Haloumi and the Sheep Cheese for Saganaki plus Feta.

There is a distributor in Paris. Where I live there is a Greek shop in Perigueux that sells everything.

Do a search for Greek shops in France.

In UK I have found Turkish Haloumi that was very good and much cheaper.

This is what I buy in the supermarket, but I think it is what you would call Greek-style. I haven't seen Total. [img]http://backoffice.placedumarche.fr/uploads/PLACEDUMARCHE/PHOTO1/2407700/000000.jpg[/img]

There are several brands of Feta in plastic packs and in jars of oil with herbs.

I've never seen Halloumi, so if anyone has a link to a supplier, please post it.

Super U do a passable greek style yoghurt but nothing is really like total. I have seen French feta, French gouda, French gruyere and of course the ubiquitous and tasteless French emmental. No French cheddar though. Strange as it is the most copied cheese in the world.

A la Greque doesnt even resemble real Greek Yoghurt.  The feta in jars is ok and probably the closest you will get to the real thing. Real Greek Yog is thick, yummy, fattening and fantastic. I am drooling at the mouth just thinking of it on a warm morning, on the balcony with a drizzle of runny honey.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I sometimes make my own yoghurt. Dead simple, warm some milk (UHT will do) to about 50°C then mix in a tub of live yoghurt, put into a vacuum flask and leave for 24 hours. Strain through a fine sieve to get the concistency of Greek yoghurt. Unfortunately it still does not taste as good as Total. Perhaps someone could enquire of  Total as to why they don't export to France?

Hi All

I  miss Total yoghurt and emailed them, their reply was rather vague "available in most supermarkets" so if anyone finds it (Dept 86) please post, I have looked for a Greek/Turkish shop in Poitiers but to date no luck and why are olives so expensive here

There is a Fage.fr site and I have sent them a message but to date no reply.  Fage UK could not help.  Do not despair Greekophiles I will keep working on it.  Carcassonne is a bit far on the off chance although we must go some day, we have been here over 2 years and I havent seen it yet!

• 1 month later...
[quote user="Dog"]... Where I live there is a Greek shop in Perigueux that sells everything.[/quote]

What and where exactly in Perigueux please?

[quote user="Dog"]... Do a search for Greek shops in France...[/quote]

Google didn't want to play.

Thanks