Appareils électroménagers.

Ysatis

Hi.

What shops are the best, price wise, for buy a washing machine and a fridge freezer?

I've looked at the Conforama website, but I'm stuck to think of others. I know the big Leclerc's do white goods but I haven't had much success with their website.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

I bought a chest freezer last year from the little electrical shop in our local town.  Same price as Leclerc's hypermarché and they even delivered it, installed it, tested it and took away all the wrappings - all free of charge.

Nice to support one's local businesses.....[:)]

We bought most of our white goods from Darty. They were competitive on price, and more importantly, were interested in us as (potential) customers. This was a welcome change to the other places we'd looked, and means I'll go to them first in the future.

I'm also told, by french friends, that their SAV is also very good.

Regards

[quote user="Ysatis "]

Thanks everyone for your replies. Shame I'm not there at the moment to take advantage of the sales. I've not heard of SAV, I'll have to look that one up.

Regards.

[/quote]

S.A.V.  Service après vent (after sales service). Not a well known phrase in France, buy from a local independent source and you may get some S.A.V.[:D]

La Redoute have an 'up to 40% off' sale on household goods at the moment.  We've just received a large order ourselves (for bedroom furniture ...... plus a 'few' new summer tops [Www]) & saved about 300€ on the lot.   

I have to say I have never heard of them but I did find this on the Internet http://www.adepem.com/far.htm a place that sells their stuff and spare parts.

I agree with buying from local shops but the price can be high. We bought a new washing machine this year. I searched on the web and bought the model I wanted for just over 200 Euros less than my local shop and about 100 Euros less from places like Darty and it included free delivery.

Personally my tip is to find a model you want then go to www.google.fr (thats important) and tick the Pages France then enter the product code of the item. You will find several price comparison websites come up then look for one thats the cheapest but with good recommendations. I admit my machine took about 8 days to arrive but the company that sent it kept me informed of its progress from door to door and I am very happy. If you go for a known Brand I think you will be pretty safe.

[quote user="Quillan"]

I have to say I have never heard of them but I did find this on the Internet http://www.adepem.com/far.htm a place that sells their stuff and spare parts.

I agree with buying from local shops but the price can be high. We bought a new washing machine this year. I searched on the web and bought the model I wanted for just over 200 Euros less than my local shop and about 100 Euros less from places like Darty and it included free delivery.

Personally my tip is to find a model you want then go to www.google.fr (thats important) and tick the Pages France then enter the product code of the item. You will find several price comparison websites come up then look for one thats the cheapest but with good recommendations. I admit my machine took about 8 days to arrive but the company that sent it kept me informed of its progress from door to door and I am very happy. If you go for a known Brand I think you will be pretty safe.

[/quote]

I'm not sure I totally agree with this approach, Quillan.

If you need SAV, your first approach is to the vendor. Easy if it's a local shop like Darty or Gitem, not so simple if you bought your washing machine by post.............

Warranty is with the manufacturer providing you send off the registration card of course.

We have had things break both in and out of warranty. By the nature of our business we also have our equipment insured via our insurance policy and have had engineers out both from the manufacturer or another company (not a regular occurrence I hasten to add). We have also had them out from our local shop who on more than one occasion lent us a replacement machine while they fix ours. They don't mind because either the manufacturer or the insurance company pay. They prefer the insurance company as they make more money [;-)] .

I do give my local shop a chance to quote but they can't get anywhere near the prices on the Internet. On some items you can find that indeed places like Darty can be the cheapest. I always take the route that these things are like a Ford car for example. It does not matter where you buy them as it is what it is you just want the cheapest/best deal you can get.

I guess our situation is not the norm as we really do use our electical goods so we try and buy the best (they are all domestic units by the way). Our two washing machines on average are used two to four times a day as are our driers in the winter or when it rains. We have two dishwashers that are used twice a day. We have three freezers and three fridges and as I said they are all critical to our business. Quality and service are very important to us and we have had no problems so far, touch wood.

It would be nice to help our local economy and buy locally but we simply can't afford it.

I forgot Darty etc are about an hour away in either direction so not exactly local for us. A friend bought an American fridge from Carrefour and had all sorts of problems which took nearly three months to sort out resulting in a new, different brand, unit sent to replace it at an extra cost and no compensation, they were told to claim that from their insurance company even though it never worked properly from the day it arrived. I think it depends on the people in the place you buy these things and not always the place you buy them from.

I suppose there are always going to be pro's and con's where ever you buy from. I'm definately going to buy a brand I've heard of and probably from somewhere that's within an hours drive, just in case I need SAV.

Even though I'd not heard of the brand FAR, I didn't want to dismiss considering it just in case it was a popular one in France.

Thanks for all the responses.