dehumidifier recommendation

josa

I have come to the conclusion I need a dehumidifier - my barn conversion has the lower part 1/2 buried and whilst it is pretty watertight we do get some dampness through the earth when it is left a while - I can leave the dehumidifier on low and have the water discharge into a gully in the wet room.

I was looking at a  Delonghi Dem10 as a good and reasonaly priced one - I can get it in the UK for about £120 but I don't know if it is available in France or it's price.

Does anyone have experience of this machine or any other type they can recommend?

Is the house heated and occupied? A dehumidifier works by passing room temperature air over a cold coils, so I would think it less efficient in a cold house? We had damp from high earth levels and we excavated a trench and added soak-aways to take water away from the wall.

Not permanently occupied/heated - just for holidays and long weekends - the trouble is that I am loath to leave bedding, clothes etc there in case it will get damp and mouldy!

We have done similar re: the trench and soakaway but the rooms still feel a little damp - possibly due to the walls still being colder than the air and so moisture condenses on it.

I have very similar issues.  Downstairs where the bedrooms and bathroom are, two thirds of the space is in the bedrock - it is built on a slope.  We had trench and drainage like you but I found that last winter an Ebac dehumidifier worked wonders.   I bought it in the UK on the recommendation of a friend who runs them in her house here.  My house is not heated and downstairs is very cold during the winter months.  After being here for Christmas we returned to England leaving the dehumidifier on permanent drainage 24 hours a day.  It was fantastic - beds dry and the whole floor area also.  Like the other poster I put all my bedding into the vacuum bags as I am concerned about dampness and insects.

I bought the Ebac on line.  If you google them you will find them.  Good luck!

yes we have an Ebac as well, and it's very good and made a real difference. We had condensation in the bathrooms and mildew on our clothes and the dehumidifier has proved to be very reliable.

We also had trenches cut around the higher side of the house as we had seepage into our basement. The deepest part of the trench was about 7feet with a slotted pipe at the bottom and filled with stones. I hadn't realised how much rainwater would come through the earth until a recent bout of rain saw water pouring out of the end of the pipe (where it runs into the garden) like a torrent .... and that's what was originally coming into our basement!