Carbonate de Chaux

Fi

This might be better in food in drink......

Am about to bottle some of the glut of pears.  I have been given some Le Parfait bocaux, and in the instructions it tells me wash the jars in hot water and carbonate de chaux.  What is this stuff?  Where can I get it?  I have searched the forum and only found posts about lime plaster, not exactly the same thing.   The literal translation of course is carbonate of lime, which doesn't help me much either.

Any help gratefully received!

Fi

I just checked and it would seem that "carbonate de chaux" is simply a common term for calcium carbonate. I would have expected baking soda  or sodium bicarbonate - you'd use this to clean a fridge, wouldn't you? Why calcium carbonate though ... strange.

Regards

Pickles

[:D]hi ok

Carbonate de Chaux .....    sodium metabisulphite..... called Camden tablets in the UK  used in wine making  for sterilizing etc

Dave

ex home made  wine making guru  [6][:D][:)]

[quote user="virginia.c"]A good friend of mine bottles and preserves everything from pork to fruit. She simply washes in very hot water with washing up liquid then puts the jars into a hot oven. In doing this the jars get sterilised - get dry and then don't crack if hot contents get put into them.[/quote]

My original plan was to put them through the dishwasher (without detergent) on a bot wash, then I was overcome with self-doubt when I read the destructions.

I do have some Milton (no babies, but good for sterilising Camelbaks) - would that do?

Fi

[quote user="DaveOlive"]

[:D]hi ok

Carbonate de Chaux .....    sodium metabisulphite..... called Camden tablets in the UK  used in wine making  for sterilizing etc

Dave

ex home made  wine making guru  [6][:D][:)]

[/quote]

But not a chemist, been drinking your own brew before you posted [:D]

Sodium metabisuphite, Na2S2O5

Calcium carbonate, CaCO3

Not quite chalk and cheese but one is almost definetly chalk

[quote user="buelligan"]I use Milton and then a hot oven (put the jars into a cold oven and bring to temperature) but then I am a belt and braces sort of a gal...[:D][/quote]

In the end dishwasher (no detergent), milton and oven.   If anything survives that it deserves to live[:)]

Fi

I've bottled fruit for years,

peel stone and cut in half, make sugar syrup, put fruit in jars, cover with syrup, put the jars in oven at 120 degrees on a tray with newspaper on, make sure you have a good gap between the jars. in half an hour or so you will see bubbles in each jar, remove from oven and seal, (I have assumed you have a kilner type jar with a rubber seal)

when they are cold test the seal by undoing the metal clip and hold the jar up by the lid, if the seal holds then the fruit will keep, if not eat as soon as poss,

I have only ever washed jars in dishwasher after removing the metal, replace the rubber seals every few times,

[quote user="Fi"][quote user="virginia.c"]A good friend of mine bottles and preserves everything from pork to fruit. She simply washes in very hot water with washing up liquid then puts the jars into a hot oven. In doing this the jars get sterilised - get dry and then don't crack if hot contents get put into them.[/quote]
My original plan was to put them through the dishwasher (without detergent) on a bot wash, then I was overcome with self-doubt when I read the destructions.

I do have some Milton (no babies, but good for sterilising Camelbaks) - would that do?

Fi

[/quote]

Blimey Fi, when we had a dishwasher, now thrown out and replaced by a usefull wine rack, it never mentioned that you could wash yer 'bot' in it! How on earth do you stop the water going everywhere and how do you stop yer 'bot' getting scolded!

No sittiing down for a while eh? But you would definately have rosy cheeks![:$]