Amiens or Reims or where else?

josa

Hi  -my wife and I are having a quick weekend trip to France on 20th November, returning to UK on 22nd. We often go to Lille, but thought I might try Amiens or Reims for a change - I think I am too early for the Amiens Christmas markets (or does someone else know differently?), but wondered if anyone has a recommendation as to which one would be best, or any other recommendation within a reasonable drive from Calais?

We just want a bit of sightseeing, a bit of shopping and a choice of reasonable restaurants - any suggestions gratefully received.

I like both Reims and Amiens. But if it's cold and damp, I think I'd prefer Amiens, as I love the hearty local food and lovely cakes! It's an attractive town, but then of course there's all that Champagne at Reims!

I believe the Amiens Christmas market is from 1 - 18  and 19 - 27 December. There are also special shopping weekend breaks to tie in with it, probably on the tourist office website. They also do other weekend packages, so it's worh a look.

GG

Another thought, Arras is also very pleasant. Again, the Christmas market is 27 November - 24 December, so not good dates for you. But it's a nice town, with interesting buildings, some good restaurants and patisseries. Again, there are some winter bargain rates, such as at the 3 Luppars, and there's a very good B & B, La Corne D'Or near the centre.

GG

Having just returned from a few days in Belgium, have you considered lovely cities like G(h)ent or perhaps Ieper. Same or less driving time/distance from Calais as Amiens and much nearer than Reims. Gent is one of my favourites places, especially going to see Van Eycks masterpiece in St Bavo's Cathedral, the lovely buildings around the Graslei and of course the superb Belgian beers. Good filling meals such as Flemish stews, esp in the Patersol area. If you don't speak Dutch don't worry as almost everybody speaks English anyway (best to avoid speaking French tho'). Ieper is a lovely place completely rebuilt after the Great War but has many reminders of that period, esp. the last post ceremony at the Menin Gate every evening - some restaurants will allow you to break your meal so as to attend.

Otherwise, if it must be France, don't forget Arras is worth a visit.

Brian (again)

I do love Troyes (but NOT the andouillette!) - but having been there several times I fancy somewhere different.

I actually thought I might even stay in Calais and see what it has to offer as all I ever do is get off the ferry and race elsewhere!