chicken houses

hakunamatata

[quote user="hakunamatata"]Yes I can Dog! but I dont want my garden looking like a scrap heap[/quote]

Sorry I apologise now you have the new double wide and have bulldozed the scrub you will want everything looking hunky dory.

May I suggest a suitable breed of chicken for your fabulous new garden - Silver Sussex - you can pick up reasonable ones for £750 each. If you want to pay more I could probably find you something.

go to

www.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk and ask a question in the 'Franglais' part of the forum. There's a lot of French members on the site and they are quick to answer questions about where to buy things, or French equivalents of UK products. You might find something there but at least they will point you in the right direction.

[quote user="Will"]Then try something like this.

[/quote]

I love the eglu because it is fox proof and can be moved around. anybody who has kept chickens will know how quickly a lovely patch of grass will turn to just mud. It is also very well insulted against hot and cold, and very easy to clean. But at nearly £600 it makes every egg very expensive!!

Perhaps will ask for one for my big birthday next year (yeah 21 again).

Also sold in France - the large one at E905!

just look on ebay .fr or uk, the uk ones are alot cheaper but you will pay postage Ive had quotes for 100 pounds delivery on a decent coop sleeps 30 henhouse costing 250 pounds which isn't bad as the eqivelent is about 650€ on the french ebay. I'll pm you the ebay ad later today when i've got time

[quote user="Swissie"][quote user="Will"]Then try something like this.

[/quote]

I love the eglu because it is fox proof and can be moved around. anybody who has kept chickens will know how quickly a lovely patch of grass will turn to just mud. It is also very well insulted against hot and cold, and very easy to clean. But at nearly £600 it makes every egg very expensive!!

Perhaps will ask for one for my big birthday next year (yeah 21 again).

Also sold in France - the large one at E905!

[/quote]

Will bought me one for my birthday when they were far cheaper and we were wealthier and I think ours was one of the first in France. It's still going strong and is so easy to keep looking pristine and mite free.

Would chickens cope in an Eglu in a Swiss winter I wonder. I really want a movable run so that they can have access to grass all the time- I hate to see chickens in a muddy run. We also have many foxes here, as well as pine and beech martens - so it must be as well protected as poss.

Well, they've coped perfectly well during this really harsh Normandy winter. Obviously snow is a problem - mine hate it and sit glumly willing it away, but as soon as the south facing house gets a patch of warmth in front of it, they wade through the white stuff to warm themselves where it has melted.