Complete France Forum

Paraffin available?

JohnRoss

Well we still need some heat of an evening but all the places around here, Lecrerc, Bricomarché etc, that stock it are right out of paraffin. We use a modern heater with a turbo fan and it is very effective but useless with no fuel so does anyone know where paraffin is available in the triangle formed by Niort, Parthenay and St Maixent L'Ecole or there abouts.........................JR

Good luck, JR.  We ourselves looked in several shops before buying the last 2 bidons in the bricomarché in Barbézieu.

Mind you, we've had to resort to the woodburners as well.

BTW, expect to pay considerably more than you did in the autumn.

Exactly, in the space where the paraffin used to live, I now see filters for swimming pools, nylon nets on handles for clearing leaves out of pools, all sorts of things for pools.

And, of course, everything you'd need for your BBQ![blink]

Our local Leclerc has not had any for several weeks. They put a sign up saying pump broken when they are out, amazing how often that pump breaks down! Someone suggested Super U filling stations. Our nearest is at Champdeniers maybe worth a look. Any knowledge anyone?........JR

Ok well we tried Super U at Champdeniers this afternoon. Brilliant as they had a paraffin self service pump at their filling station and we filled a couple of 20 litre bidons. They were charging 0.998 Euros/litre which is a better price than we have paid in the past locally. Bet it turns warm in the evenings now!............JR

That IS a good price, JR.  Don't know about where you are and yes, it's turned nice and warm here this afternoon.

However, we have one poêle à pétrole on in the sitting-room this evening as it's not quite cold enough to bother with the poêle à bois.

Er went in to TreeDome (excuse the spelling) at Carcassonne yesterday, the had the 'end of season' sale and were selling it at 14.90 for 20L, same price at begining of year. I bought 8 containers like I always do when I see it cheap and store them. I usually have about 16 in stock and whenever somebody in our village sees it cheap they give the word. Mind you, you get cheap wood up north, we pay 60/65 m3 down here.