Steam cleaners.....again!

mint

Time to bite the bullet and get one of these as the last estimate I got for cleaning my rug and uphostery made me rub my eyes in disbelief.

So, then, which make and which model:  please advise.

Also, I live in a very hard water area.  Are there any other products I should get to use with the cleaner.

If it furs up like my kettle, then it's going to be a lot of hassle using it.  Will have to be cleaned after each use and I don't think  my domestic goddess credentials stretch that far.

I doubt that the domestic ones are as good as the professional ones. Is there nowhere near you where you could hire one for the day? We hire one from mr Bricolage and the cost of the cleaning fluid is more than the hire fee.

I had a Vaporetto for many years and loved it. But my overactive helper pulled on the lead and as it is a pressure system - it was too expensive to repair (grrrrrrr Georgia!). Considering buying a steam cleaner again, so looking forward to good advice here.

Sadie, I will enquire.  Don't mind hiring till I move house and then, I dare say I will need my own as I will have one house to clean to prepare for selling and one to clean after I have bought!

As an aside, you know, I have never bought a house that I didn't need to rope in the help of umpteen friends to clean and yet, when I have sold, I get "thank you" notes from the new owners saying how pleased they are with their lovely clean homes!

There just is no justice or equality in this world and I shall have to be fully prepared with steam cleaner and a troupe of friends in tow to clean the house when I find THE one!

We have one in France, can't remember the exact make and model but it is something like this:

http://www.domena.fr/nettoyeur-vapeur-cs-4

I liked it a lot, and got something similar, but a bit smaller and a lot less expensive for the English maison secondaire.

http://www.vax.co.uk/shop/product/utility-cleaners/steam-cleaners/-Vax-V-081

The Vax isn't quite as powerful but it is much better made and far more robust. Both work pretty well and I wouldn't want to be without one.

Hello Sweet17

I'm not sure if you really mean a steam cleaner for upholstery? After several years here we found that upholstery and rugs were getting really grubby; it seems to be dustier than in UK.

We bought one of these:

http://www.equip2clean.co.uk/vacuum-cleaners/aquarius-pro-valet-carpet-upholstery-cleaner-p-390.html

It's a powerful vacuum cleaner with a spray attachment. It leaves the upholstery and rugs virtually dry after use. You need to use special non-foaming detergent  (available from the same supplier). Our package arrived by couruer within 2 days and the performance of the cleaner is fantastic! Over a period of a couple of days anything with a fabric finish was subjected to a cleaning!

Sid

Thank you, Sid, I do like the looks of your machine.  In fact, I was thinking of a Bissell.

You're so right about things getting really grubby.  I know it's the damn woodburners:  I hate the bloody things and I am going to buy a house with radiators everywhere and NOT a fireplace in sight.  That's how strongly I feel about it.

I daresay that perhaps, you can clean lamp shades with it as well?

But, nobody's said anything about hard water.  Will I have to buy that expensive de-ionised (or whatever it's called) water to use with it?

What, you only got Persian, Wools?  Mine's Aubusson![:D]

Sweet, I think the vac might be too powerful for lampshades; I'm not sure.

Great for rugs, carpets, 3-piece suites, upholstered dining chairs etc. Our main aim was to get the suite clean again, but once you start it's hard to know where to stop! The colour of the extracted water is unbelievable. Brilliant for the car seats too, which were equally grubby, but that's my fault for repeatedly driving to the builders merchant whilst still wearing the jeans I've been working in!

We didn't do anything special about water; just plain old tap water.

You can hire of course, but we couldn't find a machine which had both upholstery and carpet attachments, and you have to drive to the hire shop and also finish all of your cleaning within the hire period. At least we've got the machine now and can re-do it anytime.

Sid

• 3 months later...

Sid, I have ordered it today and I am sooooo excited!

Heaven help me, since when have I become a potential domestic goddess who gets all excited at buying a carpet and upholstery cleaner?[:-))]

Can someone now please tell me the name of a non-foaming cleaning product to use with it?  Didn't want to order it as it would come under separate delivery and I will have to pay another £20.

That's not the information I have!, anyway no doubt I can offer some assistance in that regard, whatever you've done to the exchange rate is worth more than a brandy. I'm sure they are building it up to come down again, so don't tell them when you intend to exchange, that way you might get the jump on them![:)]

Oh dear Sweet, we got ours with the cleaner and still have some left for the next round of cleaning. I've no idea what to suggest. I don't remember paying £20 for the postage though, I'm sure that would have hurt!

I'll see what I can Google, but I'm sure you've already looked?

Sid