Duvet Covers

Mayennaise

[quote user="Mayennaise"]

Does anyone else have a problem with ill fitting duvet covers? All mine seem to be the right length but almost 25cms wider that the duvet. It drives me mad cos I end up wrapped up in the spare material instead of the duvet!!

[/quote]

Its not a problem, its the design, there has to be some slack

Duvet = 220cm x 200cm. Cover labelled as same size - so why the flappy bit?? 

Already had to buy a new bed cause our french bought kingsize all in one bed base wouldn't fit up the staircase. Went to the local bed shop in the hope I would be be able to buy a new 'foldable' bed base for delivery pdq - only to be told that our french bought 'kingsize' mattress wasn't the same size as UK kingsize!! Had to travel to Ikea to get a comparable one!!

Aaaargh, the previous Special Lady Friend was always highly amused when I suddenly got The Rage during the night due to the empty bit of the duvet cover...... It seems to be completely pot luck whether the sizes of the cover will fit the corresponding sized duvet properly.

I suspect the best way to ensure things fit well would be to buy everything from the same supplier.

I am very confused by this post. I have bought bedding in the UK, France, Germany and Switzerland, and also from Ikea which I suppose would count as swedish sizing. The only 'universal' size I have found is double quilts and covers are 200x200.

220x200 is not a standard in any of these countries, and most have different bedding sizes.

In France, and I think that you have been in France some time Mayannaise, there is usually a rabat of about 25 cms depth at the bottom of a quilt cover and that is to fold under the bottom of the bed, I can't say that I have never had popper of buttons to close quilt covers in France, but they are not the norm.

25cms is one heck of a difference, around 10 inches isn't it, so why didn't you measure it and take it back if it didn't measure up.

Re bed sizes, personally I measure, Trois suisses used to do a sort of made to measure service for mattresses and as our king size UK bed base was good, I ordered one to fit from 3Suisses, if I had ordered a french king size it would have flopped over the base at both sides.

Countries can call things what they want, in this case of beds and bedding the actual size matters.

I have several duvet covers with the 'chimney' at the bottom and am not getting the extra material confused with that - just that my duvet covers are all very much wider than the quilt! and  I know all about 'duvet rage' dave21478 - nearly threw the whole lot out the window one night!!

[quote user="Russethouse"]For years we had a double bed and our own single duvets - worked very well actually - no duvet rage [:)][/quote]

We still do - otherwise I loose out, also much easier to make the bed, and wash single quilt covers.

I might add, I have  yet to find that duvets bought in one country work with bedding bought in another - sizes are not comparable  (and vice versa). .  And don't start me on pillowcase sizes!!!!!