which radio?

Doodle

I would like to buy a radio. It doesn't have to be travel size and I'm not too bothered about the price as long as the reception is good and I can listen to the BBC radio stations 1,2,3 & 4 here in france.

Anyone got any recommendations please?

Chris

Do you know if you can receive BBC radio where you are? If you can't a radio with that specific idea in mind could be a waste of money. When I need a top-up of the Archers   [:$]   I listen to radio 4 on-line, we're too far from GB to receive other than long-wave, and even that reception is dodgy.

FairyNuff

We're very pleased with our internet radio, and our English neighbour was delighted when we loaned it to her one Sunday when we were going to be out all day - she listened to the Archers, which she was really missing. [:)]

We listen to bits of Today, sometimes a couple of programmes in the evening if I go to bed early, maybe concerts on R3. I haven't a clue how many programmes it can receive, but it's a huge number, including French ones of course.

It does occasionally lose the signal, but it's usually for a very short time, but particularly annoying in the middle of a concert.  If you have broadband, I'd recommend you look into having an internet radio.

If you receive TV from Astra 2B then all the BBC Radio Channels are on the same feed.

11954 H
tp 13
BBCDVB-S27500-2/3
2-2013

2B South
R Eckendorff

BBC News  670450005001 E
BBC Parliament  670553015311 E
BBC Alba  673658005801 Gla
BBC Stream 4 0
 678051005101 E
BBC Stream 4 1
 67815.005201 E
BBC Radio 1  67515401 E
BBC Radio 2  67525402 E
BBC Radio 3  67535403 E
BBC Radio 4 DAB  67545404 E
BBC Radio 4 LW  67555405 E
BBC Radio Scotland AM  67575407 E
BBC Radio Wales FM  67585408 E
BBC Radio Ulster  67595409 E
BBC Asian Network  67605410
BBC World Service UK  67615411 E
BBC Radio Cymru  67635444 We
BBC 1Xtra  67665412 E
BBC 6 Music  67675413 E
BBC Radio 7  67685442 E
BBC Radio nan Gaidheal  67695443 Sc
BBC London  67705441 E

Any Satellite receiver will receive TV & Radio; whilst on Radio the TV will show an icon indicating radio reception, this can be turned off to give your screen a rest.

The navigation in Radio Mode is more basic than in TV Mode but for somebody wanting to listen to BBC Radio 1/2/3/4 the memorisation of the applicable 4 Channel numbers should not overload the neurons.

Checking the list I see that Radio 4 DAB and LW are separately listed, in an attempt to avoid confusion the respective channels represent programme content as would be received in the particular transmission mode whilst having a picnic at the Henley Regatta; it in no way impies that a DAB Radio will wpork off Astra 2B.[:D]

Thanks all for the replies. I now feel I have mislead you all in that I want the radio in case I have to have a short stay in hospital and I would like some english to listen to as well as the hospital TV/radio which quite frankly did my head in on my last stay!

Thanks, Chris

Chris, ask the hospital if they have internet access for patients, they do round here.  I take my little Netbook with me to hospital nowadays(I sound like a permanent inmate, and feel like it sometimes!) and thus can send mail, watch DVDs and access UK radio and TV via the net (via a poxy server.)  Solves several problems in one and aleviates boredeom  - plus the headphones save you from interminable episodes of "questions pour un champion."[:-))]

[quote user="Araucaria"][quote user="gardengirl "]

[/quote]

I am far from pleased with mine (a Revo Blik, now discontinued and I'm not surprised).

[/quote]

This numpty bought Revo Blik from E-bay without thinking to read any reviews first and it has been the bain of my quotidien ever since, one of the reviews said he had two of them and they were only fit to use as wheel chocks in his garage [:-))]

I am glad I am not alone [:D]

What problems do you have Auracia?

I finally moved my Freebox so the radio got a stronger signal, now 90%+ and whilst it doesnt sulk and do its conneries as much as before it still cuts out very often, although now it will usually reconnect before doing its favorite trick of dissapearing up its own backside necessitating a cold reboot..

My blood pressure is only slightly lower, before I used to fart lead at the repetitive adverts on French radio all seemingly using the same voice over woman, now I just get mad at the Blik.

Like you I would realy like to know if other makes do what is written on the box as I would drive over my Blik in a heartbeat!

Internet Radio - a topic very close to my heart -  I was supposedly  given one for my birthday a few days ago. It is a Logitech Squeezebox radio - ( I wanted a radio that comes with me around the house or in the garden, not just listening via the PC + speakers).

Well - would you believe, problems with getting it to work - in spite of having password etc... we just (when I say we, it's not me as I barely know how to put a plug in a socket) so, dear husband is supposed to get it set up - but he can't. I have now decided that it is HIS radio, can't bear the disappointment. I had absolutely no idea it could be so complicated. It will take some lengthy negotiations with Orange, no doubt. IF it ever works. And those things aren't cheap either.[:(] 

• 2 weeks later...

Knee gel, could you please report back when you have got yours?

I've been looking for such a radio for a couple of years now but have hesitated to buy as I am clueless about these things and I am nervous about spending money on what might be a huge disappointment.

Hi Sweets,

One of the reasons I like the Roberts retro istream is that Roberts have a help line you can ring if you have a problem using it! I'm not techno minded so will probably need help but that said it does seem relatively easy to use. Have a look at the comments on Amazon.co.uk and Robertsradio.co.uk as there is some very good info. You can also have a 30 day free trial. Cheaper to buy from Amazon though. My friend is very impressed with theirs so that's a good enough recommendation for me.

We love our Roberts internet radio, Sweet; we tried a Pure internet radio at first before bringing it to France but found the touch pad controls too fiddly, and knew I'd have problems with it, especially at night when the eyesight gets worse. That's something to be aware of.

We're using a Roberts Stream 83i now, and found it easy to set up and very simple to use but I must confess it was OH who did it all. I read many comments on Amazon before taking the plunge. It has a remote control too, which is easy to zap with or change programmes.

Having researched internet radios on Amazon I bought it at John Lewis because of their excellent record if there are problems; we have a wind-up/solar radio in the UK bathroom, and when it eventually went wrong it was changed with no problems after having it a long time.

• 3 weeks later...