Disenfectant

JeanS

Not sure what you want to use it for or on but I find that "Oust 3 in 1" (made by Johnson but writing so small you would hardly notice the make) is brilliant.  I buy it in Carrefour. An aerosol spray which says it  will  (sorry no accents) "elimine les mauvaises odeurs", "Tue 99.9% des bacteries" sur Les surfaces, Les tissus d'ameublement. 

About 9 inches high and  a "chunky" size round (not like hair spray for example) with a green lid. You will find it near other cleaners and the javel - which I don't normally use as we have a "fosse".  Spray it on and wipe around - no need to rinse. It cleans and smells "clean".

The only thing that occasionally comes into my head is that the 0.1% of germs are probably the killers!

Mrs H

It was this stuff that I used to use. I used to check but it used to say something like biodegradable or sans danger pour fosse septique. And I used it for years, in fact used it in my toilet and never had any problems what so ever.

I would use a little in some water wash the pet things and rinse well and never had a problem.

La Croix Eau de Javel Plus

L'Eau de Javel Plus La Croix vous garantit une hygiène parfaite dans toute la maison avec, en plus, un parfum frais et agréable ! Elle existe en 3 parfums : Forêt d'Eucalyptus, Jardin de Lavande et Fraîcheur Tonique, en format flacon ou berlingot.

Are you referring to this on my link above, you mean we shouldn't do it?

Adding white vinegar to diluted household bleach greatly increases the disinfecting power of the solution, making it strong enough to kill even bacterial spores. Researchers from MicroChem Lab, Inc. in Euless, Texas, report their findings today at the 2006 ASM Biodefense Research Meeting.

Sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) in the form of laundry bleach is available in most households. The concentrate is about 5.25 to 6 percent NaOCl, and the pH value is about 12. Sodium hypochlorite is stable for many months at this high alkaline pH value.

Is that the same as what you mean by chlorine?

"Diluted bleach at an alkaline pH is a relatively poor disinfectant, but acidified diluted bleach will virtually kill anything in 10 to 20 minutes"

Whilst I wouldn't want to debate the learned scholars from Texas and their long and hard research, [Www] half decent pool people have known this for years [geek]

The Ph affects the killing potential of javel (chlorine), in a swimming pool we keep the water around Ph 7.4 to suit the human bodies being immersed in it. At a Ph of 6 it is more powerful again but would cause irritation to the eyes, skin and mucosa. Yes we do add acid and chlorine but at such a dilution in 45-100m3 of water as not to cause any real worries.

Javel bleach has a Ph around 11 so how to bring the Ph down safely, you could dilute it with water Ph 7 (adding javel to water Not the other way round to avoid splashing) which would give you a solution around Ph 9 or adding some vinegar to water to produce a solution of  around Ph 5 then  slowly adding that to the javel out doors and keeping yourself away from any fumes to get a solution around Ph 8.

The ordinary javel in shops is around 5% or less but and the reason I posted, the javel we speak about quite often on here is the Brico version which is twice the strength and swimming pool liquid chlorine could be 50% stronger than the Brico's so it's important for anyone wanting to do this to know the difference.

Vinegar (acetic acid) has  Ph of around 2.5 and adding that to javel directly is bloody stupid and if done in a small kitchen or bathroom etc is extremely dangerous. The chlorine gas produced is just the same as that used in the trenches of the 1st world war and using a canister of each chlorine and acid is exactly how it was done.

Helpful article Here

[quote user="JeanS"]This is all getting rather technical - all I want is some good old pine disinfectant or dettol - surely the French must have an equivilant!!!![/quote]

Look in the supermarkets, bricolage shops and quincaillerie shops all have lots and lots of cleaning products. As I said, in France I used the more expensive cleaning javel that was safe for fosse septiques and rinsed well.

Small quantities of any disinfectant be it javel or dettol won't have a major effect on a fosse as the disinfectant will be used up very quickly in a fosse full of bacteria and organic waste so the bulk of the fosse won't be damaged and as bacteria multiply so fast it would be back to full strength in no time.

I know I have bought sanytol, but only once. Found it expensive and it was to go in with the sheets when a child stayed and wet the bed, as they do a product to disinfect laundry.

I am just wondering how on earth I managed with cats and dog and children and humans without what is considered traditional disinfectant, but amazingly I did, we weren't a family that suffered with gastros, unlike most of my french neighbours, and I am not housework mad either.

Maybe I am too cheap to buy such a product, but I really did manage 27 years without using disinfectant.

AND now I buy it! But never dettol, I am allergic, just tesco or asda's own brand.

I use Sanytol because there is no bleach and it does not harm the granite worktops nor the animals. You can buy the very large refill containers and top up the sprays and I find pricewise, on par with other brands that have javel in them.