Moonpig cards and slow delivery

Gardener

I don't know if Moonpig has changed its postal service lately but I am finding that cards are taking a lot longer to get to France than they used to. I know this because I use their birthday reminder to give me a nudge when I need to order a card and last year they all arrived in plenty of time, this year they aren't.

I'm going to contact them and wondered if anyone else that uses them was finding their deliveries arriving later.

funnily enough a friend was complaining about this yesterday and also that she tried to get some 'congratulations' cards for various family members who had passed their 'A' levels and they were all sold out. Bit surprising, you would have thought they would have forecast that 'A' level results would be a run on their 'congratulations' cards. But anyway, she's disappointed with the service.

I understand Hallmark have set up a website and do the same thing ... might be worth looking there.

[quote user="Iceni"]

less personal.

John

[/quote]Rather misses the point then, doesn't it?  Hate the things.

Mind you,   I think Moonpig are vastly overpriced although some are very funny (got a lovely one from a forum member when I was in hospital.).  I'm old-fashioned enough to prefer an ordinary card sent the traditional way.

I was in UK for Fathers Day this year and OH arranged for my son to design a card online with Moonpig for me. It was fantastic and he was very excited about it. It was sent in plenty of time but he was disappointed when it hadn't arrived on the day. In fact it was a couple of days late [:(]. They won't get more than one more chance from me after that.

coops, some people expect so much, my remembering to send a card and why, and sincerity too -

At least now I don't feel so bad about not sending you a get well soon card - but I am glad that you seem to be as well as you were before the dreaded day.

John

[quote user="Iceni"]

coops, some people expect so much, my remembering to send a card and why, and sincerity too -

[/quote][:D]

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to be remembered in whatever way.  It's simply that I rather like the cards themselves and there's something nice about having a few around the house for a bit on one's birthday etc - something you just can't do with e-cards, although I do know some of them are rather fun.  It was lovely to have cards around my bed when I was in hospital - the e-cards I didn't get for three months until I was in rehab' and back on the internet.  Kind of the senders, of course, and I was touched (some reckon that I still am!) but not the same.

I think Moonpig is a great idea, and excellent, very professional cards. I like the Jacquie Lawson e-cards too, easily the best of the bunch, but not everybody you want to send a card to has access to e-mail. Our daughter in Australia uses Moonpig to send cards (otherwise she'd probably never remember in time [;-)]) and they always seem to arrive at the right time in England. So I suspect that La Poste might be a factor in the equation.

If I recall correctly Moonpig cards come from Guernsey - geographically very close to France of course, but other things I have had delivered in France from les îles anglo-normandes have taken ages. Another point is that Moonpig stresses on its web site that the date specified on your order is the date of despatch, not the date of delivery.

I usually buy a dozen or so cards at a time from http://www.greetingscards.co.uk - no personalisation (except for Christmas cards) but a good range and reasonable prices.  Delivery to France used to be three - four days but the last batch took a week so I think it must be the postal service which is responsible.  Another site with nice cards (all at £1.50) is http://www.kangarookards.co.uk/ which has free postage (including to France) for orders of six cards or more.

Val

Probably nothing to do with Moonpig at all.  I once received a Christmas card from a friend that lives in the Loire and I received it the following June!

I have found the French postal service where we are just awful. I have had so many things go missing, whether sending or receiving. I now feel very uncomfortable about using ordinary post. I sent a cheque to someone yesterday and will worry about them receiving it.

I sent some bank papers over a month ago that has gone missing and now will try to only use recorded delivery. Just loathe to use recorded delivery just to send someone a cheque. [:(]  I will never complain about the royal mail again!

I can agree Kangaroo cards are excellent. Have used them for years. Lovely cards at a good price. They had one missing from my order as not in stock so sent and extra one and the orderes one at a later date. Can't ask better than that ! I know not personalised but you can do that with your message.

[quote user="WJT"]I will never complain about the royal mail again![/quote]

Except that - not long before we left the UK - our area of deepest Lincolnshire had had a problem with inconsistent mail delivery only finally sorted (ish) when a huge number of mail sacks were discovered in an overgrown ditch. They had been dumped over a long period by a postie who 'was too tired and stressed' to want to bother to deliver the mail.

Sue

My wife uses Moonpig... a lot! Delivery in UK in very reliable but to destinations here in France is less reliable. We concluded that it a problem either with the French postal service or the transportation of the mail from UK to France. No way of knowing.

As she uses it mainly for family and friends in UK she finds Moonpig excellent. For friends who live here, well, they know that typical British cards are nearly impossible to find unless you buy them from a local craft stall or similar, so they, like us, don't expect to receive them any longer. At least it's removed the need for sending cards for every occaision under then sun! [:)]

Sid

[quote user="sid"]

. At least it's removed the need for sending cards for every occaision under then sun! [:)]

Sid

[/quote]You see, here's what I don't get, Sid (nothing personal - your view is pretty common nowadays and as  valid as mine).  Why is that a reason to smile?  I am always delighted to get cards and find it rather sad that the number of birthday cards I get diminishes annually.  An expression of lasting friendship, an annual communication (the Christmas and or Birthday card) is a good thing, surely, not a bad one?  The concrete (or cardboard at any rate) evidence of a relationship is, for me at least, far more telling than an e-card or, worse still, nothing at all.  I remember some time ago posting on here because I was really upset when the son of a very old and dear friend of mine, informed me of my friend's death in an e-mail.  I thought a phone call or a letter was the very least I could have expected, given that I was the only person who ever went to stay with him towards the end, and he knew I was unable to visit because I was still in rehab' following my accident. 

Sorry but I don't think that an e-card is really much more effort or more heartfelt than a post on a forum.  If people can't be bothered to shell out a few euros a year for a card and a stamp for their friends then maybe it's a relationship that needs to end?

As I get older, I want to know that my friends are still there, and cards are the thing that reminds me we still have a bond - even if we don't talk on the phone much, e-mail or exchange lots of letters.  Yes, I know I'm old fashioned and unreasonable but I still think that putting pen to paper and shelling out for a stamp says far more than inputting a few names and addresses into a website. 

Oh Coops, I think you missed the point; these are not e-cards delivered by email, they're proper cards, printed to your specification and posted in UK. In our case we personalise them with photos and a proper greeting inside, and a signature, but you don't have to. I think they're better, more personal, than what we used to do in UK.

The thread is about the delivery performance of the postal service. 

I don't like e-cards incidentally and we get loads at Christmas. Some of those animated ones I can't be bothered to play.

What I was objecting to was the way cards are produced for anything and everything, not just birthdays; Father's Day (I didn't like my lads wasting money on cards, but they still do it over 30 years later!), Halloween!! It's big business, only in UK can you find shops which sell just cards! Not here.

I was smiling at the thought how tight I was, saving the cost of the cards and postage.

I've found that since living here I've written more letters (how old-fashioned eh? with a fountain pen too!) and spoken to old friends on the phone, and I find that the effort of letter-writing is more satisfying.

I echo your sadness (and shock) at receiving news of a bereavement by email; I learned of my brother's (!!) passing by email.

Sid

Oh I loooove Moonpig - only ever used it for sending cards to UK, because I never remember in time. Never had a problem with delivery to UK, although I do always send mine two days before they should arrive, rather than rely on the assumption delivery will be next day.

Actually I find them to be around same price as buying a (seriously horrible) card in France and then posting to UK.

Anyway I NEED Moonpig because they send me a reminder of when I need to send a card, something I am totally incapable of managing on my own.

With everyone on else on the e-greeting cards - I don't even bother opening them if I get send one (good job no-one I know will be reading this!)

Appologies, Sid, if I mistook your meaning. 

Most impressed by the fountain pen - quite right too!  Sadly I am, and always have been, one of those messy people who ends up absolutely covered in ink from head to foot when they use one - no matter how carefully.

As I said earlier in the thread - I actually rather like Moonpig cards and got a very funny and extremely apposite one from a member of this forum whilst I was in hospital, as it happens.  Nothing quite beats the personal touch.  I do admit that I buy my birthday cards in bulk once a year when I'm in the UK but I still try to find an appopropriate one for each person's birthday if I can.  And my Christmas cards I get sent to France from two of the charities which I support (Injured Jockeys and Motorsport Safety).  Sadly, good quality cards for whatever occasion seem to be sadly lacking over here as Londoneye says.

• 2 weeks later...
 For proper cards I can recommend this company - I have seen them at Hampton Court flower show a couple of times and always stock up, now they have galleries and a web site. I'm afraid I have no idear if they post to France but if someone is visiting from the Uk they could bring them.

Last week I got 15 lovely quality Christmas Cards for £5

http://www.thewhistlefish.com/index.php?page=1#