top loader or front loader

confused of chalus

Our ancient top loading French washing machine is about to give up the ghost.

Has anyone any views about whether an english-type front loader, which seems more available here now, or a French style top loader is more efficient/quieter?

There's only the two of us so an increased load capacity is not really needed. We are about to fit out a new utility room so need to make a decision on the basis of width of machine.

I must say that I find it ironic that the best looking place to post this comes under 'leisure and pastimes'! Neither shopping nor laundry are my idea of fun!

Kathy

[quote user="confused of chalus"]I must say that I find it ironic that the best looking place to post this comes under 'leisure and pastimes'! Neither shopping nor laundry are my idea of fun! [/quote]I agree!

Personally, I'd never buy a front loader again.  I think the top-loaders spin far better/more quickly.  But it could be just an impression.  I don't know which is quieter 'cos my washing always goes on at night when we're asleep and the leccy is cheaper[:)].

I've only ever had top-loaders, because they're smaller and because I believe they last longer.

I bought a second-hand one in 1992 in England, brought it with me to France in 2003 and got rid of it in 2008 although it still worked; unfortunately, it started leaking and a new one was as cheap as a repair!

Also, in a top-loader, the drum is supported on two sides, and this allows faster spin speeds... and you can open it when it's full of water without flooding the room!

In a front-loader, the drum is supported only at the back... and you can't open it without flooding the room!

Heavens, Clair - what speed does your's do? My front loader does 1400, which seems pretty good and seems to get towels fairly well spun.

I haven't had a top loader for years and years, and have been very happy

with front loaders. They can pump out water if there's a problem, so

you don't need to flood the kitchen, although it's a pain when you find

you've dropped a sock and can't just open the lid and bung it in!

I've had my current Bosch in UK for about 18 years, doing all manner of

kit for teenagers way back as well as normal washing for a family of 4

and it's still going strong, and bought a Bosch washer/dryer in France; I

would have had a similar machine as in UK, but we don't have the space

here. The washer/dryer hasn't had any problems in the 4 years we've had

it. Both are very quiet.

I think it also depends on your kitchen; if you want a run of worktop or

a fitted kitchen/utility room, a front loader will fit well. If it's

not, then either will be fine - although I must admit that when my back

is bad it's not pleasant to bend to put washing in and out - although

that's what OHs are for if they're around at the time - and mine usually

is!  [:D] If you can get a bargain, it makes sense to go for that.

I have had both. I had a wonderful Philips top loader that I bought a couple of years after I had moved to France, and it lasted years. Then I bought another and it was a disater. The product when into the compartments in the lid itself, rather than the second lid and within a couple of months it smelt completely pourri. Made me feel sick. I tried everything, bleach, disinfectants and it still stank. And a year and a day after I bought it, it stopped working. Cannot remember the make now.

I then bought a german make front loader and it is good.

Top or front, well if it is a stinking rotten top loader then no, if it is like my old Philips, then yes. Or a decent make front loader.

Its a no-brainer for me

Ive got a front loader in the UK and a top loader here in france which was passed on to me by a couple returning to the UK .    I never would have chosen one  otherwise BUT I have been so impressed with it .

The front loader - a good one bought from John Lewis hasnt got nearly the range of temperature and spin combinations like my french top loader as with that I seem to be able to set any temp I like with any wash type - gentle -vigerous - quick- and and spin speed .  ( im sure there is much more - if only i could understand the french on the dials !!!)  Ive washed double duvets - pillows in it .  all super

I havent seen any differance in cleanness either.    

I much prefer it to my front loader in the UK   BUT it wouldnt fit in my new super duper integrated kitchen - shame

I

[quote user="Clair"]

In a front-loader, the drum is supported only at the back... and you can't open it without flooding the room!

[/quote]

That's not really true Clair, at least not on our front loader. There are two big suspension springs at the top and two shock absorbers at the bottom, they combine to keep the drum in equilibrium and damp out any out of balance spinning. A plus is also that the door opens through 180 degrees.

ps It's an Ariston 'Margherita' AL109 model which we bought in the UAE and shipped to France.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

[quote user="confused of chalus"]I must say that I find it ironic that the best looking place to post this comes under 'leisure and pastimes'! Neither shopping nor laundry are my idea of fun! [/quote]I agree!

Personally, I'd never buy a front loader again.  I think the top-loaders spin far better/more quickly.  But it could be just an impression.  I don't know which is quieter 'cos my washing always goes on at night when we're asleep and the leccy is cheaper[:)].

[/quote]

May well be worth reading this Coops.

http://www.bucksfire.gov.uk/BucksFire/News/2011/Safety+warning+after+washing+machine+fire.htm

We never put ours on overnight or while we are out. Our old Coulton Ariston almost caught fire while we were in. The dog started barking at it and saved the fire. So now it's a BIG no no...

Edit : - Nearlt forgot. If you google washing machine fires there are a lot more out there..