Help, and quickly please.

Quillan

We have bought most of our more recent appliances from a sort of small warehouse distributor in Wiltshire - a family business. They stock many of the obvious brands of most things but avoid those brands they don't trust because they offer an after sales and repair service too and they prefer to sell stuff that doesn't often need repairing. They are particularly pro Miele and Bosch. They don't sell Dyson because the machines are too unreliable and getting spares takes ages.

The Dysons built in the original Malmesbury factory were generally excellent; when Dyson moved manufacture to the Malaysia (I think) after a falling out with the local council about planning, the quality and reliability took a nosedive from which it has never recovered.

I still use an ancient Miele - a heavy cylinder jobbie about 25 years old - and a Lidl bagless thing (about 70€) that is good enough on tiled floors but doesn't cope well with animal hair. I do save a fortune each year on bags, however and it's easy enough to empty the container regularly.

[quote user="Catalpa"]They are particularly pro Miele and Bosch.

[/quote]

Well I bought another Miele. When you think that in my business it probably gets used two or three times as much as a normal house, is kicked and dragged all over the place, sucks the soot out the fire, cleans the patio ec, etc, as I said really abused and yet it lasted 10 years.

When we lived in London and had carpets plus three cats and dog our trusty Hoover upright worked a treat.

[quote user="John Brown"]Hi Q,

I like "The more you complain, the longer God makes you live"

Thats me and you ( and a few others on here ) that will live forever [:D] [:D] [:D]

Hope you are busy

JB

[/quote]

I shall be bloody immortal at this rate. [;-)]

Me and my gob, the Miele, the best vacumme cleaner ever, in the world ever, etc, etc, has lasted six days and has now gone bang, OK mre to the point shows no life what so ever. Hopefully I shall not have much of a problem getting my money back from Darty (Carcassonne). I have now ordered one of these....

http://www.amazon.fr/Sebo-airbelt-Aspirateur-incluses-Filtration/dp/B0049MOGXW/ref=sr_1_7?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1344590289&sr=1-7

They have different 'models' in France to the UK, perhaps it's because there are more solid floor here.

Time was when you could buy a "good" make and get quality

Normally we go for cheap as chips and if it lasts more than a year or two its a bonus. Last one lasted 7+ years until my OH parked it close to the fire and melted the side out. Still says she didn't ! It just happened.

We "invested" in a good make this time, a Bosch ( good German engineering ) only to find hidden away somewhere on the leaflet, made in PRC

Time will tell ?

Some years ago, when we first bought our house in France, we bought a Rowenta Tonixo cylinder vac as a 'stop gap' machine. Probably from Intermarche and probably pretty cheap. It is still going strong with extremely good suction. A minor fault occurred with the on / off switch a few weeks ago but nothing that couldn't be sorted with a little bit of engineering thought.

It's light, powerful and convenient enough to carry up and down stairs.

[quote user="Quillan"]

Me and my gob, the Miele, the best vacumme cleaner ever, in the world ever, etc, etc, has lasted six days and has now gone bang, OK mre to the point shows no life what so ever. Hopefully I shall not have much of a problem getting my money back from Darty (Carcassonne). I have now ordered one of these....

http://www.amazon.fr/Sebo-airbelt-Aspirateur-incluses-Filtration/dp/B0049MOGXW/ref=sr_1_7?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1344590289&sr=1-7

They have different 'models' in France to the UK, perhaps it's because there are more solid floor here.

[/quote]

Well that looks like the one I bought and am very happy with. I ordered some spare bags from Amazon immediately. Mine has a five year manufacturers guarantee with it, I would hope that it was the same in France.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="Benjamin"]Q

Given the amount of work the vac does have you checked that the filter(s) aren't blocked?

[/quote]

Forgot to answer your post Ben, sorry. No it's not the filter, the bearings have gone in the motor and a new motor is about 15% less than a new machine.

[quote user="idun"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

Well that looks like the one I bought and am very happy with. I ordered some spare bags from Amazon immediately. Mine has a five year manufacturers guarantee with it, I would hope that it was the same in France.

[/quote]

It has finally arrived, seems a 'quality' built bit of kit.

The next bit is really aimed at Idun. It says the little light on the power switch and adjuster goes round, the more suck the faster it goes, mine just stays in the same place. Is that because of the model I have has no on/off and suck control on the handle?

Advertised as five year warranty but box says it is four years.

What about bags, where do you get yours from?

I didn't realise how much difference the 12M lead makes. I paced it out roughly a few days back but it is even longer than I paced. The parquet floor brush 'swivels' like the Dyson and boy does it have some suck. It feels like it is trying to suck the tiles off the floor and that's at only half power. Now to find something to hoover, what a sad old git I am.[:(]

The light appears to be just a simple 'on' light and not an indicater as to how high the button is swivelled round.

Yes, I have to turn mine right down on some surfaces. 

What I really liked as I was unpacking was the metal tube, quite heavy and looks like it's good quality and strong. And that cable, felt like a magical trick pulling it out of the machine. And the hose itself on mine is very long, far longer than I have had on a vacuum cleaner before.

I ordered my bags from Amazon as soon as I got mine, the reason being that I reckoned with it having so much power, that it would get more dirt up than my old cleaner. And that is what has happened. I daresay they'll last a little longer from now on.

There is a five year guarantee, isn't that the vendors one year and the manufacturers four year? I called and registered my with Sebo.

Thanks for that, it's not too clear in the manual.

I have now ordered some bags from Amazon France, 17,33 for eight which when worked out per bag is about 60 cents cheaper than the Miele bags although to be honest I tended to by non miele bags which are cheaper. I also bought a filter kit as they say to change them after every 16 bag changes. Seems not to many bags to a filter change but then the bags are three times bigger than my Miele ones. I thought the cap on the bag a good idea, many a time I have thrown a bag in the bin too hard and got covered in dust.

I didn't notice that the hose was any longer than the one on the Miele and the tube on that was made of metal also. It is a shame they don't make the tubes a standard size across all the makes. I used to plug the tubes from an old Miele somebody dumped in to my tubes for longer reach as I have a 'cathedral' ceiling and it saves me climbing up ladders etc. I shall have to make some form of adapter I guess.

The reason I bought the D2 Total was because of the extra long cable and the big bags it took. I'm used to vacs with big bags as my James (like the Henry) takes big bags.

I haven't bought an extra filter yet, didn't think to get one.