Help, and quickly please.

Quillan

Doing a changeover at the moment and the old Meile vacuum cleaner has developed a nasty smell and squeak, sounds like it is on the way out. Not surprising really as it is used an awful lot and regularly abused as well.

Before I drive to Carcassonne this afternoon to buy a replacement I wanted to ask what people think about Dyson vacume cleaners (as opposed to stand up 'hoover' style stand up ones) as we have no carpets just wood and tiles floors. We do have dogs and cats. The Meile has done good service so I am not to sure as to keep with the brand or move on to a Dyson. Any thoughts?

Whereas I adore the upright Dyson, I'm not convinced about its cylinder cousin which has always felt like a compromise to me.  Lots of people swear by Mieles so why not stick with what you know?  Or try a Henry - rubbish on carpets but fine on hard floors - heavier and a bit more awkward to drag around than a Miele but has a much longer hose.  (I used to do a bit of cleaning so I've tried 'em all in my time!)

We have a Dyson drag-around that is probably 15 years old. Early on, the clips securing the extending handle pipe to the floor-cleaning end broke: this was fixed with self-amalgamating tape around the joint. Since then, other things have given up - eg the cable winds itself back in in use, which is annoying and dangerous (cable gets hot because of proximity to the motor plus the issue of creating a nice EM coil) - we have a clothes peg on the cable to prevent this. The extending joint on the handle broke a year ago: it still works but it is annoying. It was damned expensive for what it was and if I were spending that amount of money again, I'd probably look elsewhere. I happened to have a look at the prices of the latest Dysons two weeks ago: my snort of disbelief could be heard all across the Carrefour Planet that we were in at the time.

[quote user="Pickles"]We have a Dyson drag-around that is probably 15 years old. [...] the cable winds itself back in in use, which is annoying and dangerous (cable gets hot because of proximity to the motor plus the issue of creating a nice EM coil) [/quote]

Same problem with our old Dyson (cylinder) which is also a good 15 years old now.

And the special "turbo" brush was a pointless purchase, as were the replacement filters which seem to have reduced the sucking power.

I'm embarrassed to say I get better results from the 35ā‚¬ machine I bought at Leclerc for use in the gite... [:$]

As recommended on here I bought a Sebo a few days ago and thought that I should give it at least a few weeks trial before saying what I thought.

I bought an airbelt Total, very very long cable and 6litre bags inside it. In comparison to this model the Dysons look faible to me, the plastic just doesn't look sturdy to me. My brother and wife have just bought one.

Thus far I am very very happy with it and think that I will be reporting in glowing terms.

I also have a Henry (James) model and have to say that I was starting to feel a bit dissatisfied with it. I called Numatic and had a chat about it. I now have their own bags, the filter on mine is washable and I gave it a wash as per their instructions and now if I just turn it on, it is pulling the carpet up, so hard is the suction, so it is very good for carpets and in fact I have to adjust slightly with the little air opener in the handle for ease of use on carpets. IF I had known that my James could be so brilliant I may not have bought the Sebo. However, in this house, I prefer to have a vacuum cleaner on both floors, so I would have still been looking for a 'good' vacuum for the other floor.

I would never buy a Dyson, my aunt had one of the first models and it is heavy and well built and if they were still like that, then I may consider one. Also the man in the vacuum repair shop where I used to buy my bags always had Dysons lined up like Daleks to repair and rarely had other makes in. And a friends Dyson electrocuted me whilst I was using it and Dyson came out and repaired and not a sorry or surprise on their part that it had happened.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Pickles"]We have a Dyson drag-around that is probably 15 years old. [...] the cable winds itself back in in use, which is annoying and dangerous (cable gets hot because of proximity to the motor plus the issue of creating a nice EM coil) [/quote]

Same problem with our old Dyson (cylinder) which is also a good 15 years old now.

And the special "turbo" brush was a pointless purchase, as were the replacement filters which seem to have reduced the sucking power.

I'm embarrassed to say I get better results from the 35ā‚¬ machine I bought at Leclerc for use in the gite... [:$]

[/quote]

Aha! So you bought a DC05 Turbobrush as well?

I've never bought new filters: I just washed the existing ones.

Idun, I smiled at your Henry comment re the carpets - just why I said they are rubbish for them - the thing sucks so hard that you can hardly push it about unless you weaken the power by opening the vent, as you say!

Clair, I got a little bagless vacuum cleaner with my SuperU points the other day and it is really excellent - a Sherpa Tornado which I think might be made by Electrolux - apart from the very small "tank".  It came with loads of tools and two washable filers.  .

The old cylinder Dysons are no way comparable to the route (multi cyclones) of the new machines. I threw my old one away it was so poor compared to a Henry. You get a couple of year guarantee when you register a Dyson and do it because you'll need it. In normal use bits of plastic snap off, hoses separate where they are not supposed to. Great vacuum but just not very sturdy in the rough and tumble of use, customer service is good so parts are supplied but what about waiting ......for the parts to arrive.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Idun, I smiled at your Henry comment re the carpets - just why I said they are rubbish for them - the thing sucks so hard that you can hardly push it about unless you weaken the power by opening the vent, as you say!

[/quote]

Mine was not doing it's job though, not sucking properly at all. I had apparently bought a bargain lot of paper bags and they stop it working properly. Now it is just dandy.

The Sebo has a 12m cable, which is brilliant. The James has an extra long cable of 10m and that too is great. I cannot bear coming to the end of my tether and stopping and having to unplug to do the next room.

Dyson we have had . The upright one heavy and  bits fell off it .  There are many others now that are lighter and are bagless  and you can also see what has been sucked up . We have a Hoover bagless that is very powerful .No more Dyson's for us 

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="Clair"][quote user="Pickles"]We have a Dyson drag-around that is probably 15 years old. [...] the cable winds itself back in in use, which is annoying and dangerous (cable gets hot because of proximity to the motor plus the issue of creating a nice EM coil) [/quote]

[/quote]

Aha! So you bought a DC05 Turbobrush as well?

I've never bought new filters: I just washed the existing ones.

[/quote]

Ours is a DC02, now discontinued and no longer serviceable, and I bought the Turbobrush accessory, in the hope of coping with hard floors, carpets and cat hairs!

As for the filters, the originals were not washable and had to be replaced. The "new" ones seem to stop everything, including the air intake!

Well I am off to buy a new vacuum cleaner now. I don't think I will bother with a Dyson. Meile do a version for wood and tiled floors might be of interest. I shall look for a Sebo whilst out but it is a step in to the unknown but then so was buying my original Meile. I had a look on Amazon (UK) at the customer reviews and the Meile took the top five or six places after which came a VAC and then the Dyson's. Some of the Meile owners had Dysons before and seem to rate the Meile superior with more suck and the 'Animal' versions much better at picking up dog and cat hairs. As we don't have any carpets I don't need that function but it is interesting to read.

I never understood why Dyson was not repeatedly prosecuted under the trade descriptions act, not sure if they still do in the UK but here in France they are advertised as no dustbag hence no lack of suction. My ar5e [:-))]

They have these tiny filters with a surface area about 100th of that of a dustbag, they clog up 100 times quicker and the loss of suction is noticeable within a few days of first using the machine.

Clever guy though, he made an every day object very desirable through cosmetic design, smoke and mirrors, his masterstroke was to have a see through dust container, people could feel really rewarded by seeing just how much dust and dirt it picked up, they were encouraged to vacuum a carpet that had just been done with a traditional hoover, had they done it the other way round with emptying a new dustbag they would have seen just how little the Dyson picked up.

He also knew a bit about what sex made the buying decision [;-)]

You talk about James Dyson in the past tense, Chancer.  Is he dead?

Never had any problems with the upright - my DCO4 is now 8 and working very well but the filters do need to be cleaned properly on a regular basis, as do the brushes on the base.  The DCO1 was fine but the filters very pricey.  Never found a vacuum so easy to push about on carpets which was so easy on my back to boot.  With 6 cats, 3 dogs and 2 ponies as we had in the UK, nothing picked their hair off the carpets like it did, nor was such a doddle to use on stairs.  I got a cylinder when I came here and am singularly unimpressed in comparison - not a patch on the original, imho.  Sexy?  The DCO4 is the most disgusting green colour you could ever imagine.[+o(]  Yes, that green!

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="powerdesal"]Get a Maytag.[/quote]

But I want a vacuum cleaner!

[/quote] ??????????????????????????[/quote]

They don't make vacuum cleaners according to their website.

PS. Can you do something with your browser, I/we keep having to edit your posts to remove the HTML tags. Ta

[quote user="powerdesal"]Can you do something with your browser, I/we keep having to edit your posts to remove the HTML tags. Ta How ??????/ I use Chrome.[/quote]

I don't but I believe somebody found a fix for this when they changed the forum last. I believe that you need to tell it to be in IE9 mode for this website. How you do this I have no idea because because as I said I don't use it.

Q, our Miele sometimes does something like what you describe, i.e. smells, makes odd noises and loses suction, and it also tries to pop the bag cover open by itself. That's a sign that the Hepa filter needs cleaning, or, better, changing. I don't know what model your is; ours is called a 'Solution', it's blue in colour, and is otherwise identical to the cat/dog version but comes with extra tools for cleaning hard floors.

We've had just about all makes in the past, including building up a Dyson graveyard, and the Miele is the only one which shows any signs of longevity and decent performance. There was some resistance at first because a cleaner with bags looked like a step backwards, but we are convinced now. I think the Sebo is equally as good. But having said that, in England at present we have a bagless upright Vax which came as a bonus deal with a carpet washer, and that seem very good too. I'd definitely steer clear of any French vacuums, which seem to cost a lot of money for rubbish performance.