Parents Will

John Brown

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Rabbie"]It is your father's house and money and it is his right to leave it to whoever he likes if he lives in England. I believe his wishes should be respected.[/quote]
I completely agree but with the vital proviso that the full implications and ramifications of the fathers wishes - on all parties - are understood and considered. 

Would the potentially ensuing legal wrangles and disharmony really be part of his dying wishes ?

[/quote]

All that matters is that the will clearly states the man's wishes - the content only concerns those drawing it up and him, not the beneficiaries, not the witnesses not even the executor(s) until after he has shuffled off.

This thread confirms my view that the prospect of inheritance and/or non-inheritance brings out the worst in people. The squabbling has started before the man has gone, even someone who professes not to want to benefit is complaining.

John

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with AnOther, most parents like to think their surviving family members will remain close after their own death

Some of you must have lead very blessed lives if you cannot envisage the problems and risk of further division between the siblings if the father leaves his estate as he has proposed. Neither do I have great faith in solicitors (who btw you normally  instruct, not consult) pointing out the folly of this...worse the father may use one of the will writing services.

All JB can do is point out the problems or go with his father to a solicitor to potentially sort out any problems that may occur down the line

Thank you for the positive comments, RH, Rabbie and AnOther

I'm going to go with the proposals from KathyF and Gardian from the early postings

We go home again next month and I'm going to sit down with my Dad and talk it through.

Hopefully he will see the implications particulary relating to the effect on my youngest sister's benefits.

On a lighter note, years ago, a lady living next door left everything ( and I mean everything ) to the local cat's home. She said her 2 son's didn't deserve anything.

She didn't like cats, never owned 1, in fact I would say she hated cats.