poireaux "leeks"

Mattyj198

Unless its some perverted sex game I would say that they are going to cook and eat them.

What were you intending to do with them or did you just buy them because everyone else was?[:P]

They havnt been on the shelves round here for a while, probably out of season, I only buy them when they drop beneath 99cts a kilo, perhaps they were cheap in the market?

If they were small plants (about the diameter of a pencil maximum) they may well have been buying them as immature plants to grow on in the garden for the autumn (and maybe winter depending on how extreme the winters are)

Ah thank you!. I assumed they were eating them! We do have leeks in Canada but we rarely use them. We prefer to use onions. I thought they were cooking them at the pencil size. Ooops! I had better plant them in the garden. I love leeks. I am looking forward to them.

• 2 weeks later...
Once your leeks have grown they are very nice wrapped in ham and covered in cheese sauce.

Cut off the green part and the root, cook the whole leeks until just tender (I do mine in the microwave in butter) then wrap each leek in a slice of ham and place in a single layer in an ovenproof dish. Make a cheese sauce, pour it over the leeks, covering completely, sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese and cook in the oven at 180/200C for about 30/40 mins.

Hi

Cut the roots off your young pencil thin leeks but leave a half inch with scissors the same again with the leaves the plant x roots about a fist size it will now look like a paint brush

Using a dibber or sharp thick stick make a hole 3 fingers deep and stick the leek in (if you pull out the dibber and plunge in the plant at the same time its a quick clean plantation) do nothing else but water in without a rose

Plant just over your hoe width apart over winter eat the biggest