micro ondes encastrable

mint

Apologies, more shopping questions to do with kitchens............what else?

I want to buy a built-in microwave, preferably in black colour, and one that is only mono-function.  I don't want a fancy one that has 9 functions or however many.

Just a straightforward one that will warm up the milk for the café au lait for breakfast and perhaps a bowl of soup in the evenings.

As I am having a complete kitchen refit and as I have already bought an oven with black glass, it would be good to have a slick looking mc sitting above the oven and that will do just what I use a mc for...........that is, NOT for cooking or grilling or anything else.

My main concern is this:  will any micro wave that says "encastrable" or "built in" be OK for putting into an Ikea kitchen?

All Ikea micro waves seem to cost 599 euros and that is not a price that I want to pay!

So, are dimensions of built-in micro waves more or less standard or do they have a kit that will enable them to be put into a standard unit?

All answers will be greatly appreciated.

[quote user="mint"]

So, are dimensions of built-in micro waves more or less standard or do they have a kit that will enable them to be put into a standard unit?

[/quote]

We bought a house in the UK in 1985 where the kitchen had a built in microwave. At  that time m/w were fairly sizeable objects and so the space assigned was large - and unalterable. This only became a problem when said m/w died and needed to be replaced; Time had moved on and m/w had reduced in size considerably over the years. So we had to buy an all-singing, all-dancing multi-function, combination oven/grill m/w as it was the only thing that didn't look stupid in the space. Although I only ever used the m/w function.

We also bought a plastic grill-guard-frame object that filled in the small space that still remained with the m/w in place.

Sue

Basic no frill microwaves, and you are right to prefer one of them, are usually 17 litres, narrower and shorter than a standard housing.

Mine are fitted on hidden brackets in the spaces liberated by the removal of the cooker hoods.

According to The Kitchen Appliance Store website:

Avoid common ordering and installation errors

A standard size built in microwave will fit into a tall or base housing but not a wall unit.

All built in microwaves are not always the same height.

Ensure the microwave is correctly ventilated.

Some models have a grill some include standard oven functions. Get the right one!

You cannot build in a freestanding microwave.

Some older models require a building in kit but these are rare these days.

Thank you everybody for your prompt and informative replies, not to mention your patience with my seemingly never ending questions re the wretched kitchen.  Believe me, I am as bored with it as everybody else already![:-))]

Confused of C, thank you for that nugget of info about your m/w.  Will look at the Ikea website;  that's about the absolute maximum I'd pay for a micro.

Betty, special thanks to you for coming up with the goods as usual!

I bought Russell Hobbs piano black microwaves for the flats and kind os semi built them in:

[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/jr7man/Coquelicotel/CIMG2795_zpsd35b962e.jpg[/IMG]

They were only £30 at the time and its a shame I didnt buy a few more as they are £70 or so now.

£300 for a basic microwave? Well if you have already spent loads on the kitchen I guess one that fits right in is Worth it, but what if it fails, or goes rusty like the one in my own kitchen?

I find the Tesco ones good value and quality as long as you avoid the combination machines.

[quote user="Chancer"]

I bought Russell Hobbs piano black microwaves for the flats and kind os semi built them in:

[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/jr7man/Coquelicotel/CIMG2795_zpsd35b962e.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]

Oh my goodness, that is such a nifty kitchen. The shiny black really works well and does not absorb the light, what a well-designed space.

Brilliant; you must be very pleased with the result !

Sue

Its bigger than that:

[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/jr7man/Coquelicotel/CIMG2785_zpsb4813547.jpg[/IMG]

And serves as a bureau also:

[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/jr7man/Coquelicotel/CIMG2788_zpsbc10dda5.jpg[/IMG]

Maybe over the top for a bedsit but it gets people talking, normally a T1 meublé would only have a rechaud.

Chance, that is a lovely kitchen with nice, clean lines.

Confused of C, I did look up the microwave at Ikea France.  The UK site said it wasn't available and on the French site I had to look for it by name.  I think it's the FRAMTID MW3.  249 EUROS so not bad?  There was a cheaper one at 149 but I was in a rush to go out so I didn't explore that option.

Now back to the hood?  I'd like a black one.  The online comments make me very puzzled.  For example, I find one that I quite like and I read the comments;  one person might say easy to install another would say fiddly, one would say bruyante, another silencieuse so that I don't know whom to believe.

Whilst I am here, I know that I don't want wall mounted but, apart from ones "for islands", what on earth are chimney hoods and canopy hoods?

I can guess that canopy hoods are probably those that you build a special canopy specially for (ugh!) but, for example, can you put them flush to the ceiling and put a structure for it in the roof space?  The kitchen is on the top floor. 

[quote user="Chancer"]

Its bigger than that:

And serves as a bureau also:

Maybe over the top for a bedsit but it gets people talking, normally a T1 meublé would only have a rechaud.

[/quote]

Perhaps ever so slightly OTT, but surely that is the reason why you are not struggling to find renters. Even short term renters appreciate a bit of luxury.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words ... so you've cracked it.

Congratulations !

Sue [:)]