the nitty-gritty stuff re sit-on mower please

mint

Time is taking its toll and cutting the grass is increasingly hard work for OH.

We want to buy an auto-portée.  The grounds are not large, about 1500 sq ft but the gradient in parts is 1 in 10.

So, what size engine would we need?

Thanks in anticipation.

Well, you can get them with manual gears or automatic gears, the choice is yours.

Some have rear discharge and others with side discharge. Some also have a mulching facility - uses a different blade and a plug in the discharge. Only ever use mulching with ours and cutting twice a week means that the chopped grass does not notice on the growing grass, so no collection unless you enjoy composting.

For the size you probably only need a small mower. As our house is left for months at a time when we are in the UK the mower sometimes takes a great deal of punishment when we arrive after a few months away but as you are at your house permanently you probably do not need a very powerful mower.

Some of the mowers have the ability to attach a hose and whilst water is running through to operate the cutters to clean the inside of the deck.

I'm not so sure about the 1 in 10 gradient. It would be unwise to try to mow across the slope on a ride-on mower, but up and down may be OK.

I think I'd go for a self-propelled one but not a ride-on.

I think I would agree with Sid, self propelled rather sit on, that way there is some exercise involved unless you are looking long term and walking maybe an issue.  If your garden has intricate bits with flower beds etc then a walk behind will get into those areas easier than a ride on.  If the garden was bigger I would look at ride on but at 1500m2 you could easily I would believe cope with a walk behind model.

The great thing about ride on mowers is the vibrating seat which does wonders for cellulite; this is why many, many ladies now insist on cutting the lawn themselves.

Seriously, Nimt, that slope worries me a bit and could be damn dangerous with a ride on.

How about getting a little man or lady to cut the grass for you?

Thank you............I can't tell you how thrilled and grateful I am to have obtained such useful and inventive advice[blink]

Believe it or not, we already have a walk-behind which I bought after duly seeking advice on this very Forum  However, OH reckons that it is still very hard to use on the slope!

I don't mind sheep but I reckon goats are more sociable and more interesting than sheep as they do seem to have a mind of their own rather than following the ...er.....sheep.

Our tondeuse is at the moment en panne, having a cable broken loose and is at the moment chez le motoculteur for une petite révision (thank you, Norman, for that very useful petit mot!)

We do have someone in to cut the hedges so I could ask him to do the grass as well.  Only problem is, OH does not want to think of himself as being unable to do such a small thing as cutting the grass and, for the sake of not denting his man pride, I thought an auto-portée would save face all round.

I shall work in all your advice when I next broach the subject of grass cutting and, if that falls on deaf ears, I shall get tough and TAKE ACTION![:D]   Nah, I don't mean cut the grass myself but engage someone to do it........

[quote user="mint"]Thank you............I can't tell you how thrilled and grateful I am to have obtained such useful and inventive advice[blink]

Believe it or not, we already have a walk-behind which I bought after duly seeking advice on this very Forum  However, OH reckons that it is still very hard to use on the slope!

[/quote]

Is that a self powered walk behind, otherwise yes it could be a bit of hard work but that does help gauge where you are at.

When we were having our grass cut by someone it was costing 30 euros each time they cut it. We decided that it would be better if we bought a ride on and did it ourselves and those 30 euros a time soon paid for the mower.

As I said, if you mulch there is no collecting and disposing of the grass.

[quote user="idun"]Incidentally, when I see 'your' photo, I always see

two legs and whirling pants.I know it isn't, but that is what my eyes

initially see.[Www]

[/quote]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]No way Idun, that's a wonderful 'minimumist' bit of art init [8-)]

[/quote]

Go easy John we can't all be ..............[:D]

It's a water vortex, whirlpool.......

[quote user="Théière"][/quote]

Teapot, whatever that was, could you re-post it in a way that would work?

And, yes, the walk-behind is self-powered and you only have to direct it a bit.  Now he says we will wait till the repair man brings it back and he will make up his mind about the ride-on.

It could be that he has been getting better and stronger and would feel happy to use it again.......fingers crossed.