kettle cleaner ?

pip24

Oust (Dylon International) remember the fabric dye?

Their MSDS says it's lactic acid so probably not that easy to find. Is it a plastic or stainless steel kettle?

Cheap white vinegar (10%) will quickly remove the lime scale in about an hour normally, rinse and heat once and throw the water away.

Citric or ascorbic acid is what's recommended in some coffee makers for descaling, maybe a taste thing? as they have plastic parts too. 

Teapot, that is what I use, white vinegar 10 %, maybe leave overnight if I have been too busy to do the kettles (we have 2) till looking white and nasty, then rinse well, boil with fresh water and throw that away and after that, clean and odour and taste free!

Also, use the same vinegar for the soft rinse section of the washing machine, mix with branded window cleaner for all glass and spray on showers, taps, tiles, anything where the calcaire needs removing and ..................voila!

If you look after the pennies as I do, you save the kettle vinegar/water and put in a container to soak the shower heads and end of taps and all the other uses I find for this mixture![:D] 

I have never in my life lived in a hard water area. My MIL did and I saw what it used to do to her kettles and washing machines.

I had thought, well hoped that the most recent models of kettles without an exposed element would be OK in hard water areas? Doesn't it work like that???

NO, id, the element might not be exposed but the furry stuff is still in the cavity of the kettle, the spout of the kettle, the handle where you might have touched it with wet hands and everywhere else on the kettle where the calcaire can sneakily accummulate.

So what about your washing machines etc. As I said, I have never ever lived in a hard water area.

I know that when we used to visit my MIL within a day, I would get very bad stomach cramps, and I put it down to the water, me not being used to it et al!

For the washing machine, I put vinegar in the drawer for soft rinse instead of soft rinse itself.

The new dishwasher is filled with salt in the specially reserved reservoir.

Don't know what the state of the water ballon is like inside, ditto the hot water pipes.

For the iron (central vapeur), I use only water that has been put into a special bottle with a magnetic element that removes the calcaire.

For the showers, toilets, sinks and everything else, it's elbow grease and Lidl's anti calcaire solution.

[quote user="mint"]

If you look after the pennies as I do, you save the kettle vinegar/water and put in a container to soak the shower heads and end of taps and all the other uses I find for this mixture![:D] 

[/quote]

Then once you have done that use the waste product to pour over ground ivy or any other plant you wish to terminate, I use it on ground ivy [I]

As you ladies are having a domestic day, I wondered if you have any ideas as to what I could do with the 27 pillowcases I have just washed (NO, Norman, not that), most of which appear not to have been used for a minimum of 8 years.

There would appear to be three different sizes.