foam for chair seats

mint

Has anyone changed their chair seats and, if so, where did you get the new foam?

A quick google has thrown up some on-line sites for foam.  I can guess at what density I need by reading the info but I am not sure whether to buy the foam and cut to size myself or to shell out extra for cut to my specs?

My dining chair seats are sort of a trapezium shape, being wider at the front than the back and the conservatory chairs and settee have rounded backs.

If I can do my own cutting, what implement would I need?  I have the original seat cushions so can simply trace the shape on the foam.

Any info, advice, comment will all be gratefully received.

Thanks, Jay, I did look briefly at that site last night but I was just about to download W10 and it was already past midnight so I didn't linger.

Now I see they have some scissors and, if needs be, I'll just have to buy the scissors as well as the foam.

Gd luck with the scissors, you will need it unless the foam is micro thin sheet.

your curved backs are probably a double curvature as well or at the least the cut edge will need to be radiussed.

An electric carving knife will do the job but it will be butchery and the blades will blunten really fast.

The correct tool is a hot wire cutter, whilst this can be DIY made I'm not going there because the potential for severe burns even cutting through skin muscle and arteries is present even with the manufactured ones in an accident, they really do cut like a hot knife through butter.

Yikes, Chance!  I'm not about to disfigure myself[:-))]

I'm looking for someone to make the covers and I shall enquire first if they could cut the foam.  Otherwise, that website that Jay mentioned has some scissors that they say will cut anything.

BTW, I am going to have toile de jouy for the cushion covers; chouette, non?[:D]

I've only ever cut fairly thin foam and still found cutting curves quite tricky, so, like Chancer, I would suggest you don't DIY, Mint. I know our local shop that sells foam uses the hot wire cutter and don't charge a fortune for foam bought from them. Good luck with finding somewhere suitable.