Some French shops just make you despair!

Pommier

I saw a camera offer in a Conforama promo leaflet, so after lots of research I decided to buy it. It was shown as in stock at our nearest branch and it said if I paid on line I could collect it free of charge immediately at the shop. That seemed a good idea just in case stocks were low, so off we went this afternoon with the printed off confirmation and proof of ID. That’s where it all went wrong! The shop sent us to the pick up point who said we had to return next day. But it says ‘Disponible immediatement’ I said, ‘oh no,’ came the reply ‘tomorrow, that’s when it’ll be disponible’. Back into the shop where the manager confirmed that we couldn’t have the camera, despite them being there on the shelf. Her suggestion; cancel the original order, wait 48 – 72 hours for an email confirmation, then another 6 or 7 days for a refund, and buy (and pay again) for a camera off the shelf! I explained to her than I wasn’t prepared to pay twice for the camera and for her to cancel the whole order which she swore she did. Oh, she also said she didn’t know the name or phone number of her boss!

On return home I emailed Conforama’s SAV plus their marketing director and then received a call from the after sales saying we could go back to the shop and get the camera. I refused saying that the order had been cancelled, to which she said it hadn’t. I told her to cancel it immediately – and I want my money back as quickly as they took it, and I’ll buy the camera from elsewhere.

Never again will I buy anything from this bunch of .................. (insert swear word!)

Sometimes with Conferama it works the other way. I bought something on line and went into the shop to collect. I spotted the same item in the shop reduced on promo. I challenged the sales guy who crossly realized the promo had finished and tore off the price tag. But he honoured the promo price, raised a sale on that price and invited me to cancel my internet order. I did have to wait some weeks for a refund!

Ordered two new motorbike helmets from La Bécanerie, on line, delivery promised within 48 hrs. Nothing after 10 days, no reply to emails or phone calls. Luckily paid by PayPal. Did a threatening email via them and got full refund within 2 days. Ordered the same helmets from GetGeared in the UK after ringing to check stock available. Took 10 days to get here and neither helmet was the one we had ordered, both helmets were different. So the French don't have a monopoly on it!!

On the positive side, both helmets were better than the ones we ordered with reactor light visors, so we kept them :))

Amazon.fr lost one of my parcels about 8 years ago ... just never arrived!

I hesitate to buy online in France because of the not-knowing whether it will work or not, and the difficulty of redress if things go wrong.  Though in the case above all was sorted ok, not surprisingly, it being amazon.

• 1 month later...
"I hesitate to buy online in France because of the not-knowing whether it

will work or not, and the difficulty of redress if things go wrong."

I buy very little more than food and fuel from shops in France for the exact same reason.  I buy as much as possible online...........from UK, China, Germany, and occasionally from France.

I'm finding more and more French online traders who are really on the ball; price, delivery and general service. It is unfortunately matter of trial and error though. Reviews do help.

I've just today ordered a Makita plunger saw from a firm in the south of France; despatched this afternoon and it'll be here in the morning. At least 100€ cheaper than the next best trader. I've used this firm before and had excellent service.

I've got 2 good electrical suppliers, a site for washing machine/dishwasher parts, a supplier for my ancient motorbike's parts, and of course Amazon.fr

I now hardly ever buy from UK (so no need to replace the plug on electrical items either).

I'd like to offer a rec for this outfit...racetools.fr of Nîmes.

In March I was in the market for a Makita DHP481RMJ perceuse visseuse.  The cheapest I was able to find in the UK was with Toolstop at £310 + delivery.  Racetools was quoting €419 (£1 - €1.44) and they included one of Makitas huge stacking tool boxes with it.  Using a Nationwide credit card to pay for it cost me £291.

I chose to receive livraison en point relais. The whole order/delivery operation was quick and simplicity itself.

I am in no way associated with this company apart from being a satisfied customer.

cajal

CoinSIDentally, this is the firm I've just ordered a Makita plunge saw from. Ordered Monday afternoon, arrived Tuesday morning. Best price anywhere! It's the second time I've bought from them this year. Another very satisfied customer.

Sid